Phone call from concerned parent nixed plot to kill ObamaOctober 30th, 2008 - 2:14 pm ICT by ANI
Washington , Oct 30 (ANI): A county sheriff has revealed that a phone call from a concerned parent had helped disrupt two skinheads plot to kill Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama and behead scores of blacks across the country.
Haywood County Sheriff Melvin Bond said that a woman called his office worried about her daughter. As the investigation led on, we found out who these individuals were, foxnews.com quoted the Tennessee lawman as saying.
According to the report, Paul Schlesselman (18) of Helena-West Helena, Ark., and Daniel Cowart (20) of Bells, Tenn. , are accused of hatching a plan according to which they would drive into the candidate while wearing top hats and tuxedos. Now, they are slated to be produced before a federal court for hearing on Thursday morning in Memphis .
While authorities say the men had guns capable of creating carnage, documents show they never got close to getting off the ground.
While authorities say that the incident may have been far-fetched, they still conjure images of the segregation era for some. These incidents, isolated though they are, serve as a reality check. Yes weve changed in significant ways, but there are those that haven”t. The alleged plot should serve as a low voltage electric shock. Were a new South, but there are elements of the old South still under the surface, journalist John Seigenthaler said about the arrests.
James Lawson, an 80-year-old Freedom Rider who worked closely with Martin Luther King Jr. during the civil rights movement and is now a visiting distinguished professor at Vanderbilt University, said he was not surprised by this latest threat to Obama. He said he has had conversations with fellow blacks at various places, not just the South, since Obama’’s candidacy began nearly two years and they have been afraid for Obama’’s life.
In the black community, there’’s been all over the country anticipation of his being in harms way, Lawson said. That is a reflection of the fact that, by and large, the black community still experiences racism when it comes to access to jobs, in unemployment levels, in housing discrimination and predatory lending in housing.
Mayor James Valley said he doesnt believe Schlesselman’’s involvement in the alleged plot indicated any organized effort by white supremacists in the city, but he said there has been at least a political tension among blacks and whites. The white community controls the finances and the black community here controls the ballot box, so that’’s where you”re going to see it, said Valley, who is black. (ANI)
- Two arrested in plot to kill Obama, other Blacks - Oct 28, 2008
- Skinny US inmate escapes prison by squeezing through cell bars! - Nov 27, 2010
- Tennessee man pleads guilty to planning 'killing spree' in a 2008 plot - Mar 31, 2010
- Daniel Cowart Pleads Guilty For Planning Attack On Presidential Candidate Barack Obama - Apr 03, 2010
- Two white supremacists face charges in Obama murder plot - Nov 06, 2008
- Authorities Detect The Assassinated Deputy Sheriff Of An Utahan County - Aug 27, 2010
- Lawson criticises CA's selection policy - Nov 28, 2011
- Plea Agreement For Two Americans Involved In A Plot Designed To Cause Obama's Death - Apr 03, 2010
- Plot to assassinate Obama is foiled - Oct 28, 2008
- 4 killed in Branson Tornado - Feb 29, 2012
- 'Gurdwara shooter was a neo-Nazi' - Aug 10, 2012
- Middlesex County Sheriff James DiPaola found dead in a hotel room - Nov 28, 2010
- Obama fried chicken forced to change name - Oct 11, 2011
- Obama denies allegations over White House leaks - Jun 09, 2012
- Small plane crashes in the Atlantic Ocean off Florida - May 16, 2010
Tags: barack obama, candidacy, civil rights movement, cowart, democratic presidential nominee, electric shock, fellow blacks, freedom rider, harms way, haywood county sheriff, james lawson, john seigenthaler, lawman, low voltage, martin luther king, martin luther king jr, skinheads, top hats, vanderbilt university, west helena