PGIMER to be inaugurated at R.M. L todayFebruary 25th, 2009 - 11:35 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 25 (ANI): Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) will be inaugurated at Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital here today.
Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Dr. Anbumani Ramadoss will be the chief guest. Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare Panabaka Lakshmi will be the guest of honour.
The PGIMER will be constructed at the cost of Rs. 60.16 crore.
Constructed by Hospital Services Consultancy Corporation India Limited, the Institute will comprises of administrative block, academic block, library block, an auditorium with more than 413 seating capacity, cafeteria and a guest house. It has an underground parking.
Dr. R.M.L Hospital including PGIMER Building is “Smoke Free Zone”.
Dr. R.M.L. Hospital was originally named as Willingdon Hospital and Nursing Home and was established by the British Government in the year 1932.
In 1954, this Hospital was taken over by the Central Government. Starting with 50 beds in the year 1954, the Hospital expanded to meet the ever - increasing demands of its services and now it is 1000 bedded Hospital spread over an area of about 25,000 area of land besides four acre of land housing hostel-cum-School of Nursing.
The upcoming institute will aim to maximize utilization of manpower/infrastructure available at Dr. RML Hospital. It will enhance the academic environment in hospital and will contribute towards medical research in the country and resulting into more specialists/super specialists and better health services to the public.
In the long term the Institute will bring together in one place educational facilities of the highest order by strengthening pattern of teaching in post graduate medial education in all disciplines so as to demonstrate a high standard of medical education to all Medical College and other allied institutions in India.
With a view to promote the objectives specified above, the Institute aims to: provide for postgraduate teaching in the science of Modern Medicine and other allied sciences, including physical and biological sciences; provide facilities for research in the various branches of such sciences; conduct experiments in new methods of medical education in postgraduate, in order to arrive at satisfactory standards of such education and to prescribe courses and curricula for postgraduate studies.
Dr. R.M.L. Hospital possesses basic infrastructure, faculty, clinical material and the environment required for setting up Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research.
The Hospital has since long been providing post-graduate education in some specialities.
At present, Government has sanctioned 35 seats for PG Degree/Diploma courses and 2 seats for Super-Speciality courses. Academic session 2008-09 has already commenced.
Accommodation has been allotted to various Departments who are conducting Academic activities in the PGIMER.
Further, attempts are underway to enhance the number of seats with the approval of the Government. (ANI)
- PGIMER to be inaugurated at R.M. L on Wednesday - Feb 24, 2009
- Azad announces re-development plan for RML Hospital - Mar 05, 2012
- Senior Haryana official found unconscious, hospitalized - Apr 14, 2012
- Chandigarh institute awards degrees to 330 students - Feb 04, 2011
- MBBS students call off agitation in Meghalaya - Jul 05, 2011
- Hooda discharged from hospital - May 17, 2012
- 12 killed in Haryana accident - Aug 02, 2012
- BJP MLA in Punjab dies of heart attack - Jun 03, 2012
- Haryana politician still in hospital - Apr 15, 2012
- With Rs.1,100 crore, AIIMS bags highest budget share - Mar 16, 2012
- Nepal president to visit alma mater in Chandigarh - Jan 17, 2011
- Nepal president to attend Chandigarh institute convocation - Feb 03, 2011
- Nepal president arrives in Chandigarh - Feb 04, 2011
- Experts to study dead liver donor's medical report - Jul 06, 2012
- Nepal's president gets nostalgic during visit to alma mater - Feb 04, 2011
Tags: academic block, academic environment, acre of land, allied institutions, anbumani ramadoss, block library, chief guest, crore, educational facilities, family welfare, graduate institute, guest of honour, india limited, library block, lohia, manohar, rml hospital, underground parking, union minister, year 1954