Petrol dearer by Rs 5, diesel by Rs 3June 4th, 2008 - 3:50 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 4 (ANI): The Central Government on Wednesday upped the price of petrol by Rs 5 a litre and that of diesel by Rs 3 a litre. The price of a Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) also has been increased by Rs 50 a cylinder. There will be no increase in the price of kerosene.
The prices will be applicable frommidnight today.
The decision was taken after the meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs (CCPA) presided over by Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh.
Petroleum Minister Murli Deora in New Delhi informed about the inability of Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) to continue bearing losses due to soaring global fuel prices. The under recovery of OMCs is expected to be Rs 2,45,305 crore during the year 2008-2009 due to sale of petrol, diesel, domestic LPG and PDS kerosene in 2008-09 in absence of any price hike or duty cut.
Meanwhile, excise duty on petrol has been slashed by Rs 1 a litre . Custom duty on crude oil has been abolished.
Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh will address the nation explaining the reason for the fuel price hike at 8:30 p.m. today.
This is the second price hike in a period of four months .It was last increased on February 14.(ANI)
- India Inc calls for dual pricing of diesel, LPG - May 24, 2012
- No plan to hike diesel, LPG, kerosene prices: Reddy - May 28, 2012
- No deregulation of diesel, kerosene, LPG prices - Aug 21, 2012
- Oil companies to bear Rs.121,571 crore under-recoveries: Reddy - Oct 19, 2011
- Petroleum sector contributes Rs.192,577 crore to exchequers - Dec 13, 2011
- Haryana waives VAT on kerosene - Jun 26, 2011
- May consider reduction of diesel subsidy : Reddy - Feb 15, 2012
- Fuel prices revised countrywide - Jul 25, 2012
- Government to decide on diesel, LPG price hike Friday - May 24, 2012
- Diesel, cooking gas and kerosene prices hiked (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Diesel under-recoveries of oil companies rise 14 percent - Aug 16, 2012
- Fresh petrol price hike of Rs.1.80 per litre - Nov 03, 2011
- Under huge financial strain: Oil marketing companies - Jun 03, 2012
- Shutdown in Tripura Monday over hiked fuel prices - Jun 25, 2011
- Fuel prices hiked in Pakistan - Apr 01, 2012
Tags: cabinet committee, central government, crore, crude oil, custom duty, dr manmohan singh, excise duty, fuel price hike, fuel prices, kerosene, liquefied petroleum gas, liquefied petroleum gas lpg, litre, manmohan, manmohan singh, marketing companies, murli deora, political affairs, rs 1, rs 50