PETA activists protest in ChandigarhApril 7th, 2009 - 9:46 pm ICT by ANI
Chandigarh, Apr 7 (ANI): Activists of the Indian chapter of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) on Tuesday staged a protest in Chandigarh against cruelty towards poultry birds.
Accusing the leading fast food chain Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) of being insensitive towards poultry birds, the activists gathered outside a KFC outlet dressed in black as skeletons of dead poultry birds.
With the aim of depicting the pathetic state of poultry birds encountered behind the curtains of KFC’s kitchens, these volunteers protested in the guise of dead chicken laying in a coffin.
According to protesters, KFC is responsible for killing nearly five billion birds every year.
Arkaprava Bhar, campaign coordinator of PETA said that the manner in which KFC treated the chicken was very cruel.
“What is the biggest truth behind the KFC is that how they treat the chicken, how they trouble the chicken because in such a small warehouse where one can capture 1-2 chickens, they capture 10-12 chickens and then they process them. At that time they cut their throat. So this protest is against KFC’s cruelty,” said Arkaprava Bhar.
A few residents of Chandigarh also participated in the protest. They blamed mankind’s greed, appetite and food habits for the cruelty towards the poor birds.
“I think that as human beings, we almost think and live selfishly. But we have to be little selfless when it comes to being compassionate. Think what you are eating and think how it is coming to you. It is all due to our greed and appetite that these birds suffer,” said Neha, a resident of Chandigarh.
Founded in 2000, the Indian chapter of PETA is dedicated to defend the rights of all animals and propagate the philosophy of animal care.
This forum operates under the simple principle that animals are not our property. They say that we cannot use them for entertainment, eating, wearing or experimenting. (ANI)
- PETA activists want KFC boycotted - Jun 04, 2009
- R Madhavan Is Sweeping The PETA Poll - Dec 09, 2010
- Stop killing chickens, Madhavan urges KFC (Lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- PETA activists protest against KFC's cruel treatment of chickens - Jun 04, 2009
- Rescued hens to feast at this Christmas Party! - Dec 13, 2010
- PETA activists stage protest against leather fair in Delhi - Oct 23, 2009
- PETA urges people to avoid fish-eating in Tamil Nadu - Mar 10, 2010
- PETA activists stage demo outside KFC outlet in southern India - Jun 12, 2008
- 'Cows', 'sheep', 'pigs' lie in coffins to protest animal slaughter - Nov 07, 2009
- Bird flu case surfaces in Bhubaneswar - Feb 04, 2012
- Bird flu: Culling of birds planned in Bhubaneswar (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- KFC eyes 500 restaurants in India by 2015 - Dec 18, 2011
- PETA organises 'Easter Protest' in Delhi - Apr 04, 2012
- Animal welfare body protests at fast food outlet - Jun 12, 2008
- Speak up for animals, urge beauty queens - Nov 25, 2010
Tags: activists protest, animal care, campaign coordinator, capture 1, chickens, dead chicken, ethical treatment of animals, five billion, food chain, food habits, greed, guise, kentucky fried chicken, kentucky fried chicken kfc, pathetic state, people for the ethical treatment of animals, peta activists, poultry, skeletons, treatment of animals