Perturbed Sikh diaspora request Obama not to call off Amritsar visitOctober 20th, 2010 - 9:14 pm ICT by ANI
Amritsar Oct.20 (ANI): Perturbed over media reports regarding cancellation of US President Barack Obama’s visit to Sri Harmandir Sahib (the Golden Temple), the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandhak Committee (SGPC), the premier body of the Sikhs, has urged him not to call off his visit to the holy city next month.
The SPGC has written a letter to Obama requesting him not to cancel his visit to Sri Harmandir Sahib.
While clarifying the issue that appeared in the newspapers, SGPC President Avtar Singh Makkar said: Any type of head cover, other than military helmet, is not objected to and they are only concerned that head can be covered with any type / size of cloth, hat / cap etc.”
“The Sikh Diaspora wish and eagerly wait to see you at this sanctum sanctorum as you are leading the largest democracy of the World i.e. United States, the country of every body’s dream,” he added.
Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC) President Parmjit Singh Sarna said the SGPC should constitute a committee of Sikh scholars to have interaction with the team members of President Obama to take out amicable solution of the issue.
“Our first priority would be to bring President Obama to the holiest Sikh shrine “the Golden Temple” but there are some logistic problems in case of security arrangements we would like to invite him at the historical Gurdwara Bangla Sahib situated in New Delhi,” he said.
Talking to ANI from San Francisco Dr. Pritpal Singh, Convener, American Gurdwara Parbhandhak Committee (AGPC) said, “We feel that if President Obama visits the Golden Temple during his forthcoming visit to India it would certainly boost the image of Sikhs living in USA and Canada even in entire world.”
He said the AGPC is already in touch with the state department of America and request the President to not to skip the holy city of Amritsar during his India visit beginning next month.
It is pertinent to mention that a large number of Sikhs live in different parts of America, but a few of them became the victim of mistaken identity after 9/11. (ANI)
- Devotees visit Amritsar's Golden Temple on Baisakhi - Apr 14, 2011
- Obama's upcoming visit to Golden Temple will boost Sikhs image: Diaspora - Sep 16, 2010
- Akal Takht announces new martyrdom day for Guru Teg Bahadur - Nov 23, 2010
- 1200 Indian Sikh pilgrims to celebrate 541st Guru Nanak birth anniversary in Pak - Nov 19, 2010
- Sikh bodies ask Govt to include Kartarpur Corridor in Indo-Pak talks - Mar 03, 2011
- 'Headgear issue will be sorted out for Obama's Golden Temple visit' - Oct 19, 2010
- Gurdwara shooting: US officials join prayers at Golden Temple - Aug 10, 2012
- SGPC sends first Sikh jatha to Bangladesh - Nov 29, 2010
- White House yet to finalise Obama's schedule for India - Oct 21, 2010
- President offers prayers at Golden Temple - Oct 06, 2010
- Sham Singh to head Pakistan's Gurdwara Parbhandhak Committee - Jan 01, 2010
- Pro-Khalistan slogans raised in Golden Temple complex - Jun 06, 2012
- SGPC haste to amend NanakShahi calendar raises eyebrows - Jan 02, 2010
- Amritsar goes ahead with plans to welcome Obama - Oct 20, 2010
- Sikhs appeal to Pak to ease visa norms for pilgrims - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: avtar singh, barack obama, cloth hat, delhi sikh gurdwara management, dsgmc, forthcoming visit, golden temple, india visit, logistic problems, makkar, military helmet, parmjit singh, pritpal singh, sanctum sanctorum, sgpc, shiromani gurdwara, sikh gurdwara management committee, sikh scholars, spgc, sri harmandir sahib