People suffer as public transport remains off the road in GuwahatiJuly 2nd, 2010 - 11:27 pm ICT by ANI
By Peter Alex Todd
Guwahati, July 2 (ANI): The general public here on Friday had to face a lot of commutation problem, as the public transport like the city buses and trackers remained off the road.
The public transporters want the general fare price should be increased.
They contend that the government has not ordered any fare hike even as petrol and diesel price have been increased.
Today’s protest of public transporters compelled the general public to commute by Aitos and Maruti vans by paying high fares. There were others who were noticed taking to any vehicle for transportation.
Disappointed with the government, the bus and the tracker association raised their fares from July 1 leading to public angst.
On Thursday, the Assam Transport Minister Chandan Brahma said that the fare raised by the bus and tracker owner was illegal and the government would take appropriate measure.
Guwahati has a population of about 1.7 million people and most of the residents travel by public transport.
“Actually I was waiting for the bus. But today all the buses are off the road, and the autos are asking high rates that we can’t pay. So, I’m standing here,” said Bornali Mech, a local resident woman. (ANI)
- Transport operators on strike in Assam over hiked fuel prices - Jul 03, 2010
- Hold your horses, Bengal minister tells taxi, bus owners (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Commuters suffer as private buses go off the roads (Lead) - Sep 27, 2010
- Kerala to decide on bus fare hike before Oct 10 - Sep 19, 2012
- State buses remain off roads in Telangana - Sep 20, 2011
- Bus unions demand immediate fare hike - Sep 14, 2012
- Kolkata autorickshaw drivers disrupt normal life - Apr 03, 2012
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit - Feb 28, 2012
- Bangalore bus travel costlier from Sunday - Jun 26, 2011
- Auto strike hits hard Mumbai suburban commuters - Apr 16, 2012
- To Patna with love, from Eden bus service (Postcard from Patna) - Nov 18, 2011
- Delhi bus fares may be hiked - Jan 03, 2012
- More Bluelines going out, private low-floors being introduced - Dec 28, 2010
- Blueline buses get brief lease of life (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Transport strike troubles people in parts of Bengal - Jul 14, 2011