People pay homage to former West Bengal CM Siddhartha Shankar RayNovember 7th, 2010 - 5:30 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, Nov.7 (ANI): Scores of people paid homage to Siddhartha Shankar Ray, the former Chief Minister of West Bengal, who passed away at his residence here on Saturday (Nov.6).
The 90-year-old was suffering from kidney ailments and had getting regular dialysis for some time.
Former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee, also paid his last respects to the former Chief Minister of West Bengal here today.
“It is a very sad event for me also, apart from people of Bengal. ManuDa was a very popular name, not only in politics but in sports, law, and he was liked by all and he had no enemy,” said Chatterjee.
Ray will be cremated in the evening today with State honours.
West Bengal Government has declared Monday a holiday as a mark of respect for Ray.
Ray was Central Education Minister from 1967 to 1972. He served as the state’s Chief Minister from 1972 to 1977.
Later, Ray went on to become the Governor of Punjab and Indian Ambassador to the US between 1992 and 1996. (ANI)
- Ex-ambassador to US S.S. Ray dead (Lead) - Nov 06, 2010
- S.S. Ray accorded a state funeral - Nov 07, 2010
- Pranab Mukherjee slams Centre for not honouring late WB Chief Minister - Nov 21, 2010
- Ray contributed to strengthening Indo-US ties: PM - Nov 07, 2010
- Buddhadeb loses from Jadavpore (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Siddhartha Shankar Ray, former West Bengal chief minister dead (Second Lead) - Nov 06, 2010
- Ray should have been cremated with full state honours: Pranab - Nov 21, 2010
- 43-member Mamata ministry to be sworn-in Friday - May 19, 2011
- Amitabh Bachchan visits Jyoti Basu - Jan 16, 2010
- Dhumal mourns S.S. Ray's death - Nov 07, 2010
- Political violence big worry for Bengal: Somnath Chatterjee (Interview) - Apr 11, 2011
- Hundreds remember Jyoti Basu, want house converted to museum - Jul 08, 2010
- Political violence big worry for West Bengal: Somnath Chatterjee (Lead, Interview) - Apr 11, 2011
- Jyoti Basu Nagar or not? Left, Trinamool back to name-calling - Oct 27, 2011
- MPs pay tribute to Neelam Sanjiva Reddy - May 19, 2012
Tags: central education, chief minister, dialysis, education minister, homage, indian ambassador, kidney ailments, kolkata, last respects, Lok Sabha, punjab, ray ray, sad event, shankar, siddhartha, somnath chatterjee, sports law, state honours, west bengal government