People in northeast hope polls will help peace and developmentMarch 17th, 2009 - 10:59 pm ICT by ANI
By L.C.K Singh/Peter Alex Todd
Imphal/Guwahati, March 17 (ANI): The upcoming parliamentary elections in the country have increased hopes in the northeast part of the country that a fresh stress would be given to further peace and development process would be promoted further after Lok Sabha polls.
The general elections commence on April 16 and will last till May 13. The counting of votes will be held on May 16. The 15th Lok Sabha is to be convened before June 2, 2009.
In Manipur and Assam the people are looking forward with enthusiasm about exercising their franchise as they seek peace, prosperity and development of the region.
An end to ceaseless militant activities and a wish to see economic prosperity all the chief aspirations of the people in Manipur as they gear up for elections.
I want the new government to focus on industry as Manipur does not have any industry. Youth from here are going outside and their skills are not being utilized here. So if there are industries here they can work in Manipur, said Joyson, a local resident in Manipur.
I want the new government to work for the security of the people in the state. They should work to contain militancy in the state, said L. Tombisana Devi, another resident.
In Assam, which is due to go for polls between April 16 and 23, the people want their leaders to work for peace and development and act tough on insurgent groups that have not allowed permanent peace to return to the state.
We want peace and progress in the country especially in Assam. We want a peaceful atmosphere. There are many disturbances caused by infiltration and militant activities. We want peace and development, said Gitika Talukdar, an Assamese.
We hope that there be a stable government and the law and order situation will improve,” said Dipak Sharma, another local resident of Assam.
Militancy and violence have disrupted life and hit economic growth of the region. (ANI)
- Assam should become a growth engine: PM - Apr 20, 2012
- Happy with our Manipur show: Trinamool MP - Mar 06, 2012
- Odisha-based party to contest election in 12 states - Jul 08, 2012
- Northeast politicians want to join BJP: Gadkari - May 13, 2012
- Congress set for hat-trick in Manipur (Second Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress set for hat trick in Manipur (Third Lead, changing dateline) - Mar 06, 2012
- Give Congress third term in Assam: PM - Apr 02, 2011
- Doors to militant groups open: PM (Lead) - Apr 02, 2011
- Militants' atrocities spread fear in Manipur villages - Oct 11, 2009
- Reduced militancy providing relief to North East people - Apr 11, 2010
- Northeast parties forge alliance for peace, progress - Feb 21, 2011
- Residents ignore militants' threat against polls in Assam and Manipur - May 02, 2009
- 57 militants surrender in Manipur - Dec 16, 2011
- Vote for Congress again for Assam's development, says PM - Apr 07, 2011
- Militants gun down man in Assam - Aug 13, 2011
Tags: alex, aspirations, assam, assamese, economic growth, economic prosperity, franchise, general elections, guwahati, imphal, infiltration, insurgent groups, law and order, Lok Sabha, manipur, march 17, parliamentary elections, peaceful atmosphere, stable government, violence