People in Dharamshala remember martyrs on Victory DayDecember 16th, 2008 - 11:34 pm ICT by ANI
Dharamshala, Dec. 16 (ANI): Hundreds of people including, Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, government officials, ex-army persons and serving army personnel gathered at the martyrs memorial here on Tuesday and paid tributes to the martyrs. The occasion was the 37th anniversary of Indias victory over Pakistan in the 1971 war.
On this landmark day Indian armed forces defeated Pakistan in the 1971 war that resulted in the creation of Bangladesh.
Addressing the media persons here, Colonel Jai Ganesh, Ex-Army Man and Chairman of Martyrs Memorial Society, said that the state is not only celebrating the37th anniversary of victorious operations of 1971 but also saluting the martyrs who laid down their lives and veterans of various operations conducted since Independence in 1947.
Ganesh said: This is to commemorate and remember those heroes who have laid down their lives and this occasion is celebrated as a Vijay Diwas (Victory Day) on December 16, today,.
But former army personnel feel that countrys youth do not prefer army as their career and advocate the policy of conscription (compulsory enrollment of persons for military service).
Major Vijay Singh Mankotia, Ex-Army Person and Former Himachal Minister said, The national government must have the policy of two way conscription for all young boys after they finish their university. Before they finish their university, there should be compulsory NCC (National Cadet Corps) training and I think that would create a kind of defence oriented psychology in the minds of people. (ANI)
- Army in Kashmir pays tribute to martyrs on Vijay Diwas - Dec 16, 2011
- India remembers war heroes on 40th anniversary of 1971 war - Dec 16, 2011
- Kargil martyrs remembered on Vijay Diwas - Jul 26, 2012
- 25 Bangladeshi's to attend 40th anniversary celebrations of '71 war - Dec 07, 2011
- Indian, Bangladeshi war heroes celebrate victory day - Dec 16, 2011
- Bangladesh celebrates 41st independence day - Mar 26, 2012
- Bangladesh thanks India for supporting 'just' war - Dec 16, 2011
- National War Memorial should be reality soon, says Antony - Dec 16, 2009
- BJP to observe Kargil victory day on July 26 - Jul 21, 2010
- India's first field marshal Sam Manekshaw remembered - Apr 03, 2012
- Indian Army celebrates Kargil war Victory Day - Jul 26, 2011
- Dal Khalsa releases Operation Bluestar directory - Jun 05, 2012
- Families of Kargil martyrs prevented from paying homage in Hyderabad - Jul 26, 2009
- Germany abolishes military conscription - Mar 25, 2011
- Remembering Kargil heroes, 11 years after victory - Jul 25, 2010
Tags: army man, army personnel, chief minister, colonel, conscription, ganesh, government officials, indian armed forces, jai, martyrs, media persons, military service, national cadet corps, national government, oriented psychology, tributes, victory day, vijay diwas, vijay singh, young boys