People celebrate Onam across KeralaAugust 23rd, 2010 - 4:34 pm ICT by ANI
Thiruvananthapuram , Aug 23 (ANI): People in Kerala celebrated the harvest festival of Onam on Monday.
During the occasion, women decorated their houses with intricate designs known as Pookalam, or Rangoli.
Snakeboat races and exotic Kaikottikali dances are some of the remarkable ways the festival is celebrated.
People maintained Onam is a time to forget the worries of a year and hope for a better time ahead. It is the only festival that has no religious tag, and people of all faiths participate in it.
“Onam is a festival of the country, in which there is no difference between Muslims, Christians and Hindus and there is no limit to the celebrations. We are celebrating it since early morning; we cook food and desserts. The city is decorated with lights and cultural programmes are going on at various places,” said Aneesha, a Muslim Local.”We will visit various places to witness the celebrations. The only problem is that it’s the month of Ramadan so we can eat at night only. I think ‘Onam’ means a memory of delicious feast,” he added.
Some locals said the festival marks the homecoming of the legendary King Mahabali.
“Every year we have Onam celebration in college. We do Atta-Pokanam (process of making Rangoli) here. It’s like welcoming Mahabali back to Kerala,” said Parvati, a local.
The Onam festival lasts for 10 days, and falls during the Malayali month of Chingam, which falls between August and September. (ANI)
- Feasting, fervour mark Onam in Delhi - Aug 29, 2012
- Kerala gets ready for Onam - Aug 18, 2012
- Zed greets Malayalees on Onam - Aug 09, 2010
- Delhi welcomes Onam with Pookalam - Sep 04, 2011
- Feasts, shows, shopping - it's Onam time in Kerala - Aug 19, 2010
- Kerala Tourism unveils 'virtual' pookalam - Sep 09, 2011
- Pookalam contest in Delhi to mark Onam - Aug 19, 2012
- President greets nation ahead of Onam - Sep 01, 2009
- Kerala pays out Rs.100 crore in pension, dole for Onam - Aug 28, 2012
- Kerala's Onam thanksgiving for migrants - Aug 24, 2012
- Happy Onam, tweets B-town - Aug 29, 2012
- Prayers, flowers and feasts - Kerala celebrates Onam - Aug 23, 2010
- Rain, spiralling prices may mar Onam revelry - Sep 05, 2011
- Kerala immersed in Onam festivities - Sep 09, 2011
- President greets nation on Onam - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: all faiths, ashik, august and september, better time, celebrations, dances, delicious feast, desserts, harvest festival, hindus, homecoming, intricate designs, kerala, king mahabali, legendary king, month of ramadan, onam, onam festival, ramadan, thiruvananthapuram