People celebrate Mahatama Gandhi’s birthday in Gujarat, MaharashtraOctober 2nd, 2010 - 6:50 pm ICT by ANI
Ahmedabad/Nagpur, Oct.2 (ANI): People in Gujarat and Maharashtra celebrated the 141st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on Saturday.
On the occasion, many followers of the Father of the Nation took part in a prayer ceremony at Satyagraha Ashram, one of the residences of Gandhi in Ahmedabad.
“Mahatma Gandhiji resided here since 1917 and established this hermitage. At that time, he had finished Satyagraha (truth force) related work. For that he became popular with the name of Mahatma Gandhi. From that time, his birth anniversary used to be celebrated on October 2,” said Amrut Modi, the warden of the Satyagraha Ashram.
Meanwhile, school students of Nagpur in Maharashtra also celebrated the birth anniversary of Gandhi but in a very unique manner.
They spun cotton on spinning wheels to create homespun and sang prayers.
Gandhi was a strong advocate against the deep-rooted caste discrimination in Hindu society and preached brotherhood between Hindus and Muslims of the country. (ANI)
- Nation pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on his 141st birth anniversary - Oct 02, 2010
- Mahatma Gandhi inspired millions to unite for cause of freedom, independence: President Patil - Oct 01, 2010
- Bihar to celebrate 100 years of Gandhi's satyagraha - Apr 10, 2011
- Gandhi remains Obama's inspiration - Nov 05, 2010
- Gandhi's glasses missing from Wardha ashram - Jun 13, 2011
- 1,100 convicts write Gandhi exam in jails - Oct 02, 2011
- Commoner to leader, thousands pay homage to the Mahatma - Oct 02, 2011
- Nation pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on Martyrs' Day - Jan 30, 2011
- Anna no modern-day Gandhi, says scholar - Oct 02, 2011
- Gandhi's glasses missing from Wardha ashram, probe ordered (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Termites feasting on Gandhi books in his ashram - Feb 21, 2010
- Children sing in praise of Gandhi - Oct 02, 2011
- Durban to host Africa diaspora conference - Aug 05, 2010
- India pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi - Jan 30, 2010
- Sonia's first appearance post surgery, visits Rajghat - Oct 02, 2011
Tags: ahmedabad, birth anniversary, brotherhood, caste discrimination, followers, gujarat, hermitage, hindu society, hindus and muslims, homespun, maharashtra, mahatama gandhi, mahatma gandhi, mahatma gandhiji, nagpur, prayer ceremony, satyagraha, school students, spinning wheels, truth force