Peace prayers for Manipur held in New DelhiMay 22nd, 2010 - 9:45 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 22 (ANI): Members of the All India Christian Council (AICC) organized a special prayer meeting ‘Peace in Manipur’ here on Saturday.
The meeting was held for restoration of peace in the conflict-ridden Manipur state.
“You know, Manipur is burning, almost every day, for last so many years. But this time, it’s the worst. People irrespective of hill people or valley people, everyone is suffering now,” said Madhu Chandra, Regional Secretary, All India Christian Council (AICC) (North India).
Earlier this month, the Manipur Government had banned National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-IM) General Secretary Thuinhaleng Muivah to visit his ancestral village.
The prolonged blockade has led to severe shortages of commodities and crippled life in Manipur.
Chandra said that the people of Manipur were suffering without food and other essential commodities due to the economic blockade, which is on for over a month now.
“The suffering of the people is the highest in the history. It is our concern, those who are living in Delhi. That’s why we came forward today. We are not political thing, but we are religious people. We want to respond in prayer,” said Madhu Chandra.
Manipur is suffering due to a month-long economic blockade spearheaded by Naga groups in protest against the autonomous council elections in the hill districts in April. The NSCN-IM had agreed to a ceasefire in August 1997 and launched a peace process with the Central Government to bring an end to the longest-running insurgency in India.
The rebel group has participated in several rounds of talks with central officials since the start of the ceasefire.
But talks between the two sides have not made progress over the rebels’ main demand of unification and eventual independence of Naga-dominated areas in northeast India. (ANI)
- NSCN status sparks row in India's northeast - Nov 18, 2011
- Manipur is caught between Naga, non-Naga protests - May 21, 2010
- Protest in Manipur against Naga leader's visit - May 16, 2010
- Shutdown-plagued Manipur votes Saturday - Jan 27, 2012
- Home Secretary Pillai meets Nagaland Governor, Chief Minister - May 12, 2010
- Peace talks between NSCN (IM) leader and Centre held - Jun 02, 2010
- Protestors stage sit-ins over proposed visit of Naga leader - May 10, 2010
- Protest in Manipur against continuance of security forces deployment - Jun 01, 2010
- Fresh round of talks with NSCN-IM Tuesday in Nagaland - May 31, 2010
- Naga women's body agitates in Manipur - Feb 09, 2012
- Manipuri women protest against proposed visit of Naga leader - May 14, 2010
- Naga group protests in Delhi - May 11, 2010
- BJP team meets Chidambaram over Manipur crisis - May 15, 2010
- Manipuris take out peace rally to protest Naga students' blockade in Guwahati - May 11, 2010
- Strife in Manipur forces people to stay in relief camps - May 17, 2010
Tags: ancestral village, august 1997, autonomous council, ceasefire, chandra, council elections, economic blockade, general secretary, madhu, manipur, national socialist council of nagaland, north india, northeast india, nscn, peace prayers, peace process, prayer meeting, rebel group, regional secretary, special prayer