PDP to boycott Kashmir panchayat polls (Lead)December 5th, 2010 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Dec 5 (IANS) The main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) announced Sunday that it will boycott panchayat elections to be held on a non-party basis in Jammu and Kashmir in January 2011, saying the “conditions are not conducive”.
PDP president Mehbooba Mufti, addressing a meeting of party workers in Jammu, said: “The conditions are not conducive for holding of panchayat polls, hence PDP will oppose the polls.”
Mehbooba Mufti, who represents the largest opposition group both within and outside of the state legislature, said the “government had not taken into consideration the ground realities and is moving ahead with the panchayat polls in a bid to run over the public mood”.
She was referring to around 110 killings in the past five months in the Kashmir Valley due to clashes between stone throwers and police and security forces.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had announced Tuesday the holding of panchayat polls on non-party basis from January. According to him, the panchayat elections, which have not been held for the past seven years, would help in devolution of power to the grassroots level in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Mufti Sayeed accuses National Conference of 'double standards' - Sep 24, 2011
- Nomination process begins for Kashmir panchayat polls - Mar 23, 2011
- National Conference is party of the past, says PDP - May 24, 2011
- Omar aims at more power to panchayats - Feb 11, 2011
- Kashmir panchayat polls to be held by April - Jan 17, 2011
- Kashmir panchayat polls begin Wednesday - Apr 13, 2011
- Panchayati elections in January on non-party basis: Omar - Dec 01, 2010
- For Kashmir panchayats, an endless wait for powers - Jul 11, 2012
- 14th phase of Kashmir panchayat polls ends - Jun 06, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir to hold panchayat polls in early 2011 - Nov 23, 2010
- Kashmir cabinet panel to meet Saturday over panchayat polls - Jan 28, 2011
- Omar spent three years saving chair: Mehbooba - Oct 17, 2011
- PDP to vote for Afzal Guru clemency resolution - Sep 23, 2011
- A Panchayati Kashmir: The importance of holding the Panchayat polls - Feb 10, 2011
- Mufti Sayeed seeks civic polls in Kashmir - Dec 04, 2011
Tags: chief minister, clashes, democratic party, devolution of power, five months, grassroots level, ground realities, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir valley, killings, mehbooba mufti, opposition group, panchayat elections, polls, public mood, security forces, seven years, state legislature