PDP supporters slam Abdullah Govt. over inflationJanuary 4th, 2011 - 8:46 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, Jan 4 (ANI): Supporters of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) staged a protest against the State Government here on Tuesday to protest over the rising prices of essential commodities.
The protestors led by PDP leader Tarlok Singh Bajwa denounced the government headed by Omar Abdullah and raised slogans against his rule.
The police later baton-charged the protestors, who were marching towards the secretariat.
Speaking to media persons, Bajwa said that it is a democratic right of people to demonstrate and question the government if they have any problems.
“See, this government is only meant for baton charging people. They cannot provide electricity, water but they are patronising corruption and on top of that baton charging people. If somebody is peacefully protesting over their problems then why are they baton charging? said Bajwa.
“Even in Kashmir they have killed over 100 people and now in Jammu this administration wants to worsen the situation. So if we are staging peaceful protest why are they resorting to baton charge?” he added.
The protestors alleged that the government was turning a blind eye to the traders and unscrupulous people engaged in the hoarding and black marketing, since the highway linking Jammu with Srinagar has been closed due to snowfall.
Consequently, the prices of all the vital needs have skyrocketed, they contended. (ANI)
- Mufti slams J-K Govt. for failing to provide basic infrastructure to people - Jan 04, 2011
- PDP steps up protests against Omar Abdullah government - Oct 14, 2011
- Over 12 PDP workers hurt in Jammu cane charge - Jan 04, 2011
- Opposition stages walkout in Kashmir assembly - Mar 01, 2011
- Praja Rajyam Party legislators protest baton charge on social activists in Hyderabad - Dec 06, 2010
- Protests in Kerala over petrol price rise - Sep 16, 2011
- ABVP stages shutdown to protest police baton-charge in Jharkhand - Jul 02, 2010
- Protest over Yaseen Malik's arrest turns violent in Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 29, 2011
- BJP, police clash again at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- Tension spilling over to Jammu - Mar 16, 2012
- An MBA from Derbyshire, now a sarpanch in Kashmir - May 30, 2011
- PDP protests price rise, shopian report in Jammu and Kashmir - Dec 17, 2009
- PDP hits out at Abdullah government for infant's killing (Lead) - Feb 23, 2010
- Heat, power cuts and politics in Jammu (Letter from Jammu) - Jun 06, 2012
- PDP disrupts Kashmir assembly over corruption - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: bajwa, baton charge, commodities, corruption, democratic party, democratic right, electricity, hoarding, inflation, kashmir, marketing, media persons, peaceful protest, protestors, secretariat, slogans, snowfall, srinagar, state government, turning a blind eye