PDP presses for Kashmir resolutionFebruary 19th, 2011 - 7:31 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Feb 19, (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir’s main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Saturday said that it would continue to fight for the resolution of the Kashmir issue and asserted that its self-rule document was the perfect way forward.Addressing a one-day convention of the senior leaders of Jammu province, PDP president Mehbooba Mufti said that the “resolution of Kashmir problem is the core issue for the party and PDP will continue its on-going campaign through democratic means.”
“People of Jammu and Ladakh are equal stakeholders in the problem, so PDP has involved residents of these two regions also in the debate to arrive at a consensus for the resolution,” she said.
“The self-rule document forwarded by the party is aimed at addressing problems of all the regions,” she said, and cautioned against pushing the “sensitive Kashmir issue under the carpet.”
She added that the “solution of this problem is a must for sustainable peace and economic growth of this region because resolution of this problem is key to the lasting peace and prosperity in entire south Asia.”
She also emphasised on expanding the scope of trans-Line of Control (LoC) trade and travel. She argued that to make the “historic 2005 initiatives more meaningful”, it was necessary to remove the hassles in the movement of goods and passengers.
According to her, the facility of visiting both sides of the LoC should not be restricted to just the divided families, but be extended to common citizens of the two sides as well.
“The opening of some points on LoC was a good beginning but lot more needs to be done,” she said.
Mehbooba Mufti also demanded the opening of Jammu-Sailkote, Bandipore-Gurez-Gilgit, Chhamb Jourian-Mirpur, Nowshera-Mirpur-Kotli and Teetwal-Chilhan routes to exploit the full potential of the region.
“Opening of all traditional routes through Kashmir, Jammu and Ladakh would help the state in harnessing its inherent potential as a business centre as it was before 1947″, she said.
- PDP takes out 'resolution' rally - Feb 14, 2011
- PDP hails Pakistani PM's acceptance of Mohali invite - Mar 27, 2011
- Mehbooba seeks positive approach on Kashmir problem - Aug 29, 2012
- Roots in Kashmir, PDP spreads branches in Jammu - May 03, 2010
- Fast-track LOC trade, travel: Mufti Sayeed - Apr 06, 2012
- Mufti demands hassle-free cross-LoC trade - May 22, 2012
- Include people in Kashmir issue's resolution: PDP - Jul 09, 2011
- PDP to hold first major public meet in Jammu - Mar 11, 2011
- Mufti seeks national consensus on Kashmir - Jul 10, 2011
- 'Self-rule can negate adverse effects of partition' - Jul 07, 2011
- Autonomy cannot solve Kashmir issue: Mehbooba Mufti - Aug 12, 2010
- PDP is party of Jammu too: Mufti - May 27, 2012
- PDP government delivered better with only 16 legislators: Mehbooba - Dec 13, 2011
- PDP to hold strategy meet Saturday - Feb 17, 2011
- I correctly quoted Mehbooba on Modi: Sushma Swaraj - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: business centre, core issue, democratic party, economic growth, gilgit, hassles, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir issue, ladakh, lasting peace, loc, mehbooba mufti, mirpur, prosperity, rule document, self rule, South Asia, stakeholders, sustainable peace