PDK protests killing of LTTE leader ThamilselvanNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:14 am ICT by admin
“We are condemning the Sri Lankan government for killing the person who was participating in the peace meeting. We are also condemning the Indian government for giving aid to the Sri Lankan government economically, financially and also arms,” said Thuraisamy, an advocate taking part in the protest.
Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) leader Thamilselvan was killed in a Sri Lankan air force bombing raid last Friday.
Thamilselvan was LTTE’s main interlocutor at the last round of peace talks with the Sri Lankan government in Oct 2006, and was the international face of the separatist group led by rebel leader Velupillai Prabhakaran.
The loss of Thamislevan is said to be a major big setback to any hope of peace talks in the near future, said a spokesman of non-partisan advocacy group the National Peace Council.
An estimated 5,000 people have been killed since early last year amid near-daily land and sea clashes, ambushes and air strikes. The death toll since the conflict erupted in 1983 stands at about 70,000. (ANI)
- Indian MP refused entry into Sri Lanka - Feb 22, 2011
- Ahead of elections, pro-LTTE journal attacks Karunanidhi - Apr 11, 2011
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Yechuri wants 'justice' for Tamils - Mar 13, 2012
- Prabhakaran to blame for LTTE's demise, says Karuna - Dec 14, 2010
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- Vaiko immerses slain LTTE chief Prabhakaran's mother's ashes in Chennai - Mar 23, 2011
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- Sri Lanka's president to visit India - Jun 07, 2010
- LTTE tells India it is not trying to regroup - Nov 12, 2010
- India, LTTE met 'secretly' before Sri Lanka truce: Eric Solheim - Nov 13, 2011
- Probe Sri Lanka killings, CPI-M says - Mar 13, 2012
- Prabhakaran's father to be cremated Sunday - Jan 09, 2010
- Sri Lanka refuses entry to Indian politicians - Feb 22, 2011
- Jayalalithaa reiterates her opposition to LTTE - Jul 06, 2010
Tags: air strikes, indian government, interlocutor, international face, land and sea, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, ltte leader, national peace council, pdk, peace talks, rebel leader, separatist group, sri lankan air, sri lankan government