Pawar urges scientists to remove all misgivings regarding GM cropsFebruary 17th, 2010 - 4:54 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 17 (ANI): Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar has urged agricultural scientists to double their efforts to remove all misgivings regarding GM crops from the minds of both policy makers and the public.
Inaugurating the two-day conference of Vice Chancellors of Agricultural Universities and a meeting of Directors of ICAR here today, Pawar said, ‘The recent decision on Bt. brinjal should not be seen as a setback to our efforts, but a challenge which we need to surmount.’
“Conventional technologies of agriculture are inadequate to meet the formidable challenges,” he added.
“The most compelling case for bio-technology and more specifically transgenic crops is their capability to increase crop productivity, lower production costs, conserving bio-diversity, efficient use of external inputs, and improvement of economic and social benefits and alleviation of abject poverty in poor and developing countries,” he said. Referring to animal husbandry, Pawar said the threat from trans-boundary animal diseases and epizoonotics has increased.
He stressed on the research on developing crop-live stock farming system based on integrated food-fodder, breed-health and bio-security management.
Pawar also underlined the need for alliance of ICAR-University and line departments of State governments for creating an atmosphere of academic excellence.
He said: “We must strive to be models of all-round excellence in creating institutions of global standards.” (ANI)
- Remove misgivings regarding GM crops, says Pawar - Feb 17, 2010
- Pawar bats for GM crops to meet food security (Lead) - Feb 17, 2010
- Fodder shortage may hit milk production: Pawar - Jul 18, 2012
- Decision on Bt. Brinjal not influenced by NGOs: Jairam (Second Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Bt.Brinjal decision not influenced by NGOs, asserts Jairam (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Decision on Bt. Brinjal not influenced by NGOs: Jairam - Feb 25, 2012
- ICAR undertakes major capacity building exercise - Dec 23, 2009
- Bt Brinjal moratorium disheartened scientific community: Pawar - May 13, 2010
- Prime Minister to discuss Bt-brinjal issue - Feb 24, 2010
- Parliamentary panel seeks probe into Bt Brinjal (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Make poultry farming in northeast more scientific: Aviation flu experts - Apr 22, 2012
- Parliamentary panel seeks probe into Bt Brinjal (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Pawar urges states to increase milk production - Nov 18, 2011
- Three Borlaug institutes to come up in India - Oct 05, 2011
- Lift curbs on research in biotech crops: Scientists - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: abject poverty, agricultural scientists, agricultural universities, agriculture minister, animal diseases, animal husbandry, bio diversity, breed health, brinjal, conventional technologies, crop productivity, departments of state, farming system, gm crops, line departments, live stock, sharad pawar, stock farming, transgenic crops, vice chancellors