Pawar rules out import of wheat this yearApril 23rd, 2008 - 6:42 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Apr 23 (ANI): Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar on Wednesday ruled out the import of wheat this year because of bumper harvest and positive procurement.
There is no question of imports this year as of today. I may be able to keep some reserves for next year, Pawar said after inaugurating the state Agriculture Ministers conference here.
He said the Government is sure of procuring up to 170 lakh tonnes of wheat this year.
150 lakh tonnes was a target the Government set for itself earlier.
The government has procured 86 lakh tonnes of wheat so far this season from different states.
99.6 per cent of the market arrival of wheat, in the last ten days, is from Punjab and Haryana.
The government had imported 18 lakh tonnes of wheat last year after procurement declined to 111 lakh tonnes against a target of 150 lakh tonnes.
On Tuesday, Agriculture Secretary P.K. Mishra has said that the countrys wheat production might touch a record of 76.8 million tonnes in the year upto June. (ANI)
Tags: agriculture minister, agriculture ministers, agriculture secretary, bumper harvest, lakh, ministers conference, mishra, New Delhi, procurement, punjab, sharad pawar, state agriculture, target, tonnes, wheat production