Paula Radcliffe becomes second woman to win New York marathon thriceNovember 3rd, 2008 - 6:11 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Nov.3 (ANI): Paula Radcliffe has become only the second woman to win the New York marathon thrice. Radcliffe finished almost two minutes ahead of her nearest rival.
According to The Sun, the win came exactly eleven weeks after her loss at the Beijing Olympics. She could only finish 23rd there after a stress fracture hampered her preparations.
In New York, a fit and healthy Radcliffe re-established herself as the worlds best woman marathoner, clocking two hours 23.56 seconds. Among the first to congratulate Radcliffe on the podium was Norwegian legend Grete Waitz a former Olympic silver medallist, who won the New York marathon nine times, the last 20 years ago. Radcliffe, who pocketed 110,000 pounds in fees and bonuses for her victory, said: To win three times is very special. To be a third of the way to replicating what Grete did here is amazing. Grete was a huge inspiration to me.
Radcliffe has now won eight of the 10 marathons she has competed in the only two missing being in Athens in 2004 and Beijing. (ANI)
- Olympic marathon: World record holder Paula Radcliffe quits - Jul 30, 2012
- Paula Radcliffe withdraws from world championships marathon - Aug 20, 2009
- Mutai, Kabuu squeeze into Kenya's Olympic marathon squad - May 18, 2012
- Derartu Tulu Wins New York Marathon 2009 - Nov 02, 2009
- Bhupathi hopes to meet Bolt in his 'dream' fifth Olympics - Jul 23, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Narang aims for a medal at London olympics - Nov 03, 2011
- Ethiopians start favourite in 10K race - May 26, 2012
- China's Zheng tags herself 'lightweight tennis champion' - Jul 01, 2012
- After defeat, marathon champ Radcliffe vows London 2012 comeback - Nov 04, 2009
- No place for Rathore; Joydeep, Heena selected for London Olympics - Feb 19, 2012
- Injuries to spikers hurt China's Olympics medal hopes - Jul 11, 2012
- Bangalore's 10k race to see elite athletes - May 11, 2012
- Liu Xiang leads China's medal charge in London - Jul 09, 2012
- Japan aims for top five finish at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: ani paula, athens, beijing olympics, best woman, grete waitz, inspiration, marathons, new york marathon, nine times, olympic silver medallist, olympics, paula radcliffe, podium, stress fracture, sun, three times, two minutes, victory, who won the new york marathon