Patil’s CBI custody extended till June 20June 14th, 2009 - 4:40 pm ICT by ANI
Panvel (Maharashtra), June 14 (ANI): A magistrate’s court in Panvel, Maharashtra, on Sunday extended suspended senior Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Padamsinh Patil’s CBI custody to June 20.
Patil has been declared a prime accused in the 2006 murder of Congress leader Pavan Raje Nimbalkar.
Nimbalkar was shot dead by two gunmen at Kalamboli in Navi Mumbai where he was called to discuss a business deal.
The judicial remand of two other co-accused - businessmen Mohan Shukla and Satish Mandade - was also extended to June 26.
The court decision came a day after the CBI sealed Patil’s South Mumbai residence.
A CBI team had gone to the house in Colaba to conduct a search, but since it was locked, the CBI sealed the house and placed a guard outside.
The CBI had arrested Patil on June 6.
Patil’s arrest was made on the basis of a statement given by Parasmal Jain, one the arrested accused, who said Patil ordered him to eliminate Nimbalkar for a contract fee of Rs.30 lakh.
Patil, Jain, Mohan Shukla, Dinesh Tiwari and Satish Mandade have all been arrested for allegedly murdering Nimbalkar and his driver Samad Kazi on June 3, 2006.
All five accused have been charged under IPC Sections 302 and 120-B, dealing with murder and criminal conspiracy respectively.
Before his suspension from the NCP, Patil was the party’s Lok Sabha representative from Maharashtra’s Osmanabad constituency.
A defiant Patil has claimed that he is being framed by his political rivals and forced by the CBI to confess to the crime. He has also refused to undergo brain-mapping and narco-analysis tests.
Five forensic and ballistic experts have been called in to help the CBI in its investigations. (ANI)
- Murder accused MP Padamsinh Patil fined Rs.10,000 (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- CBI to challenge Maharashtra MP's bail in murder case (Lead) - Jun 09, 2010
- Slain Congress leader's wife wants trial in Mumbai - Mar 11, 2012
- NCP MP gets bail in Nimbalkar murder case - Sep 25, 2009
- Murder accused MP Padamsinh Patil fined Rs.10,000 - Jun 07, 2011
- Absconder in Maharashtra Congress leader's killing surrenders - Sep 01, 2009
- CBI formally charges ex-NCP leader Padamsinh Patil for murder - Aug 20, 2009
- CBI files 5000-page chargesheet against Padamsinh Patil - Aug 20, 2009
- Apex court notice to accused in Congress leader's murder (Lead) - Jun 09, 2010
- Murder accused NCP MP in jail till July 3 - Jun 20, 2009
- NCP MP Padamsinh Patil charged with Congress leader's murder, in CBI custody (Fourth Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- CBI may conduct scientific tests on Padamsinh Patil - Jun 11, 2009
- NCP MP Padamsinh Patil in CBI custody for Congress leader's murder (Roundup) - Jun 07, 2009
- NCP MP Padamsinh Patil charged with murder of Congress leader (Third Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Accused NCP MP sent to CBI custody till June 20 - Jun 14, 2009
Tags: brain mapping, business deal, cbi team, colaba, congress leader, contract fee, criminal conspiracy, judicial remand, kazi, Lok Sabha, narco analysis, nationalist congress party, osmanabad, panvel, political rivals, raje, s south, satish, shukla, south mumbai