Patiala court gives life imprisonment to IC-814 hijacking convictsFebruary 5th, 2008 - 8:03 pm ICT by admin
Patiala, Feb 5 (ANI): A special court in Patiala on Tuesday sentenced all three accused in the IC-814 hijacking case of 1999 to life imprisonment.
Abdul Latif, Yusuf Nepali and Dilip Kumar Bhujel have been charged under anti hijacking law and also for attempt to murder, conspiracy and abduction.
The three were arrested on charges of conspiracy to hijack the Indian Airlines flight from Kathmandu to New Delhi on December 24, 1999.
They have been charged for helping the hijackers in procuring fake passports and to take weapons onboard. They have been lodged in the Patiala jail since 1999.
Over 120 witnesses have been examined in the case.
The week-long hijack drama ended with the release of three dreaded terrorists, including Jaish-e-Mohammed (JEM) chief Maulana Masood Azhar, Ahmed Zargar and Sheikh Ahmed Omar Sayeed in exchange for 189 people on board the Indian Airlines flight.
The hijackers killed Rupen Katyal, 25, and had stabbed Satnam Singh several times but he survived. (ANI)
- Pak national nabbed in Chile not IC-814 hijacking accused: Pakistan - Apr 14, 2011
- India toughens anti-hijack policy, but remains vulnerable (12 years after IC-814 hijack) - Dec 23, 2011
- Conspirator of Kandahar hijacking may have been arrested - Apr 11, 2011
- Three accused found guilty in Kandahar hijacking case - Feb 05, 2008
- Patiala court to give verdict in Kandahar hijacking case - Feb 05, 2008
- Patiala court defers verdict in Kandahar hijacking case - Jan 29, 2008
- Masood Azhar back in business, says Pakistani paper - Sep 07, 2011
- India hands over 28 Pakistani prisoners - Aug 18, 2010
- Arrested Jaish militant admits he helped IC814 hijackers enter India through Bangladesh - Mar 06, 2010
- Trying to verify identity of Pakistani held in Chile: Krishna - Apr 13, 2011
- Kandahar hijack planners came to India via Bangladesh: Jaish militant - Mar 06, 2010
- A decade after IC 814 hijack, India is more prepared - Dec 24, 2009
- Terrorist wanted for Kandahar hijacking arrested - Sep 13, 2012
- JeM coordinator for India, Bangladesh nabbed in Dhaka (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Naxal release of kidnapped cop similar to Kandahar, Rubaiya episodes: W.Bengal Home Secretary - Oct 24, 2009
Tags: abduction, convicts, dilip kumar, fake passports, hijackers, indian airlines flight, jaish, jem, kathmandu, katyal, life imprisonment, maulana masood azhar, mohammed, murder conspiracy, nepali, New Delhi, sayeed, several times, sheikh ahmed, terrorists