Parrot taking Prozac to beat the blues following owners death!November 20th, 2008 - 6:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 20 (ANI): It may sound bizarre but an African Grey parrot is taking Prozac after suffering from depression following the death of his owner.
The parrot named Glum Fred came under major depression, when his beloved dad George Dance died 9 months ago, so much that he bit all his neck feathers off and bobbed his head up.
Glum is on twice-daily liquid dose of a bird-friendly version of Prozac, called Clomical, which has finally put him back on his feet.
Animal experts believe he went into a deep depression because he could not understand why George disappeared.
He has been in quite a state since my husband died. Fred was very close to George and became depressed, the Sun quoted Georges widow Helen, of Somerset, as saying.
Experts say tropical birds are very emotional and the number needing anti-depressants is growing. (ANI)
- An Urdu speaking parrot in Britain - Aug 08, 2011
- British prawns contain anti-depressant drugs - Jul 07, 2010
- African grey parrot: Cleverest bird on planet? - Jun 22, 2011
- PMS: Women's monthly misery just a drug away - Sep 19, 2010
- Hic! Tipsy parrots nursing hangover - Nov 04, 2011
- Anti-depressants doing more harm than good: Study - Apr 25, 2012
- Custody row over Italian-speaking bird in Britain - Oct 23, 2010
- Love-sick parrot put on ''Prozac'' to beat the blues! - Jan 14, 2009
- Genetically defective mice to help understand human depression - Jun 30, 2010
- In China, a swallow doesn't necessarily make a summer (With Images) (An Indian in China) - Jul 03, 2012
- Mad Men star Jon Hamm confesses that he struggled with depression - Sep 23, 2010
- Rooney coaches family parrot to speak his son's name! - May 07, 2010
- Prozac could ease misery of premenstrual syndrome (Lead) - Sep 19, 2010
- Now, 'magic' drug that treats severe depression in just few hours - Aug 20, 2010
- Prozac Shows Promise In Treating Stroke Patients, New Study Says - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: 9 months, african grey parrot, animal experts, anti depressants, beloved dad, george dance, london, major depression, neck feathers, prozac, somerset, suffering from depression, sun, tropical birds