Parliament adjourned till tomorrow over 2G scamNovember 15th, 2010 - 2:21 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov 15 (ANI): Both Houses of Parliament were adjourned till Tuesday as the opposition continued to demand a Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) probe into the 2G spectrum allocation scam.
As soon as the House met, BJP members stormed the well of the house raising the slogan ‘We want JPC’.
The Opposition onslaught was countered by members of the Treasury benches who raised slogans ‘We want Question Hour’, waving the List of Business for the day.
In the melee, Speaker Meira Kumar called for the Question Hour asking K C Venugopal (Congress) to put his query.Similar scenes were witnessed in the Rajya Sabha where BJP and AIADMK stalled proceedings demanding a JPC into the scam.
Earlier, describing it as the “mother of all scams”, BJP chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said Raja must be prosecuted under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said, “The acceptance of Raja’s resignation by the Prime Minister vindicates BJP’s position …but this does not absolve the Government of the charges of corruption engulfing it in the recent past.
CPI (M) leader Sitaram Yechury said: “We have been asking for this for over two years. This is not the end in itself as resignation was sought for conducting an impartial inquiry into how the system was manipulated to cause such a massive loss.”
Party General Secretary Prakash Karat said with the resignation of Raja it is imperative that the probe into the scam is conducted thoroughly so that “those guilty of causing such a huge loss to the exchequer are brought to book
The 2G spectrum allocation has reportedly caused an alleged loss of Rs1.76 lakh crores to the Government, the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) has stated in a report.
The report is understood to have stated that Raja had no apparent logical or valid reasons to ignore the advice of the Law and Finance Ministries while allocating telecom spectrum to several firms in 2007-08.
The report is likely to be tabled in Parliament within ten days. (ANI)
- 2G scam: Uproar in Parliament, both Houses adjourned till noon - Nov 15, 2010
- 2G logjam: Parliament adjourned yet again - Nov 23, 2010
- Sonia slams BJP for parliament logjam, corruption - Dec 13, 2010
- United opposition stalls parliament, but split over Yeddyurappa (Roundup) - Nov 23, 2010
- 2G scam: JPC ruckus in Parliament, adjourned till Tuesday - Nov 22, 2010
- 2G scam: Mukherjee's all-party meet ends without compromise - Nov 22, 2010
- Parliament adjourned for week over 2G spectrum scam, Raja (Second Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Chidambaram rejects calls for JPC on 2G spectrum scam - Nov 15, 2010
- Noisy protests over 2G scam force Parliament to adjourn - Nov 18, 2010
- Pranab Mukherjee wants apology from Opposition for Parliament deadlock - Dec 23, 2010
- Raja out, but parliament standoff on 2G continues (Lead) - Nov 15, 2010
- 2G scam: Parliament adjourned till noon - Nov 22, 2010
- 2G scam: Both houses of parliament adjourned (Lead) - Nov 18, 2010
- BJP firm on JPC for 2G spectrum probe - Feb 03, 2011
- Uproar in Parliament over scams, both Houses adjourned till tomorrow - Nov 10, 2010
Tags: cag, chief spokesperson, comptroller and auditor general, comptroller and auditor general of india, crores, finance ministries, houses of parliament, impartial inquiry, lakh, massive loss, meira kumar, parliamentary committee, prakash karat, prevention of corruption act, rajiv pratap, rajya sabha, ravi shankar, sitaram yechury, spectrum allocation, venugopal