Parents sue school over cheerleaders nude photo suspension rowDecember 5th, 2008 - 6:43 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 5 (ANI): Parents of cheerleaders from two Seattle-area high school have launched a legal attack against the district for suspending the girls from the squad after nude photographs of them circulated via text message.
According to Seattle Post-Intelligencer, the families of two minor girls are suing Northshore School District for suspending them, and insist that the district violated girls” due process rights.
In the lawsuit filed on November 17, the families allege it was unnecessary for school officials to share the photos with other staff members, and claim they were negligent in failing to report the matter to police as a potential case of child pornography.
Matthew King, the attorney representing the families claims that it was unfair to punish the cheerleaders but not the other students who received or forwarded the photos.
“We”re not technically challenging the sanctions as being too strict, we”re saying they weren”t evenly enforced across the school,” Fox News quoted King as saying.
“There should have been some punishment meted out to those who were in possession of the photos. … It seems like the girls are getting the brunt of it,” he added.
King said he wants the disciplinary action expunged from the girls” school records, the suspensions waved and an apology issued by the school.
However, Northshore School District attorney Mike Patterson dubbed the legal action frivolous.”
“It should never have gone to court and they (the families suing) should recognize that what happened here was created by their own doing,” he said.
One of the pictures was taken three years ago and sent to the teen’’s then-boyfriend. The other was snapped in June.
The lawsuits allege that the girls believed they had deleted the photos, but accidentally sent them to members of the football team. (ANI)
- US girl sues school after officials access private naked pics from her mobile - Sep 22, 2010
- Indian diplomat's daughter sues New York for wrongful arrest (Second Lead, correcting intro) - May 25, 2011
- Indian diplomat's daughter sues New York for wrongful arrest (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Principal suspended for punishing girls - Mar 01, 2012
- US Judge backs 'I (heart) boobies' bracelets in school - Apr 13, 2011
- Courtney Love wishes daughter happy birthday on Twitter - Aug 20, 2010
- Three cheers for Indian culture, say IPL's foreign cheerleaders - Apr 12, 2012
- Jackson's estate sues memorabilia company - Jan 21, 2011
- 'Cheerleading A Contact Sport' - Say Wisconsin Court - Jun 23, 2010
- US kids develop 'Math is for boys' stereotype as early as 2nd grade - Mar 15, 2011
- Sexy Russian spy to be sued for posting racy pics on Facebook - Aug 30, 2010
- Seattle school names Easter eggs as 'Spring spheres' - Apr 15, 2011
- Sharon Stone sued by former nanny - May 25, 2012
- US woman who sent back Russian boy to pay $150,000 - May 18, 2012
- Lawyers offer help, girl's family again wants CBI probe - Jun 16, 2011
Tags: apology, brunt, cheerleaders, child pornography, disciplinary action, district attorney, due process rights, football team, fox news, girls school, lawsuits, matthew king, mike patterson, minor girls, school officials, seattle area, seattle post intelligencer, staff members, suspensions, text message