Parents dress up sons as monkeys to thanks Lord HanumanNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:09 am ICT by admin
Devotees believe that their wishes for a son would be fulfilled if they pray at the temple, dedicated to Lord Hanuman.
As part of thanksgiving, parents dress up their son like a monkey and offer prayers at the temple.
“Five years ago, I asked almighty for a son. On fulfilment I promised to bring him here and dress him like a monkey. That’s why I have come here to make him one,” said Sawinder Singh.
Childless parents or those who have only daughters seek blessings at the temple.
Priests said people from far and wide come and pay obeisance to Lord Hanuman.
“Children are given a bath here in the pond, and then they are dressed in new clothes. Later they go to worship Lord Hanuman,” said Pandit Vaid Viyas, a priest.
According to Ramayana, Lord Hanuman was tied to a tree and held captive by Luv and Kush, the two sons of Lord Ram, at the place where the temple stands.
Curiously, Lord Hanuman, the deity who blesses the devotees with children remained a bachelor, committing his life to the service of Lord Ram.
The temple is built as a replica of the Sikh’s famous Golden Temple, also in Amritsar. (ANI)
- Parents blessed with sons offer prayers at Amritsar's Bara Hanuman temple - Nov 14, 2007
- Where Ramayana recitation continues for 18 years (With Image) - Apr 28, 2012
- Hundreds of devotees gather to offer prayers at Ayodhya temple - Jul 20, 2009
- This Ram devotee was born a Muslim - Jan 01, 2011
- Faith cuts through cold at Kashmiri saint's Urs (With Images) - Jan 21, 2012
- Janmashtami celebrations in Lucknow - Aug 22, 2011
- 'Lava Kusa: The Warrior Twins' - a timely release (IANS Movie Review - Rating: ***) - Oct 09, 2010
- On Lord Ram's trail to Sabari Dham (Feature With Images) - Aug 06, 2011
- Nine-day 'Navratri' festival begins - Sep 19, 2009
- Sikhs mark 415th birth anniversary of Guru Hargobind Sahib at Golden Temple - Jul 05, 2010
- Devotees throng Shiva temples, celebrate 'Shravan' - Jul 16, 2011
- Lucknow celebrates Mahashivratri with fervour - Mar 02, 2011
- Special puja performed in Ayodhya to seek relief from terrorism - Dec 01, 2008
- Rajkot devotees offer woollens to deities - Dec 15, 2010
- Japanese devotees pray for rains at temples in Rajashthan - Jul 22, 2010