Parents blessed with sons offer prayers at Amritsar’s Bara Hanuman templeNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:10 am ICT by admin
As part of thanksgiving, parents dress up their son like a monkey and offer prayers at the temple.
“Five years ago, I asked almighty for a son. On fulfilment I promised to bring him here and dress him like a monkey. That’s why I have come here along with my son,” said Sawinder Singh.
Devotees believe that their wishes for a son would be fulfilled if they pray at the temple, dedicated to Lord Hanuman.
Childless parents or those who have only daughters seek blessings at the temple.
According to the temple priests, people from far and wide come and pay obeisance to Lord Hanuman.
“Children are given a bath here in the pond, and then they are dressed in new clothes. Later they go to worship Lord Hanuman,” said Pandit Vaid Viyas, a priest.
According to the Ramayana, Lord Hanuman was tied to a tree and held captive by Luv and Kush, the two sons of Lord Ram, at the place where the temple stands.
Curiously, Lord Hanuman, the deity who blesses the devotees with children remained a bachelor, committing his life to the service of Lord Ram.
The temple is built as a replica of the famous Golden Temple, also in Amritsar. (ANI)
- Parents dress up sons as monkeys to thanks Lord Hanuman - Nov 14, 2007
- Rajkot devotees offer woollens to deities - Dec 15, 2010
- This Ram devotee was born a Muslim - Jan 01, 2011
- Faith cuts through cold at Kashmiri saint's Urs (With Images) - Jan 21, 2012
- Janmashtami celebrations in Lucknow - Aug 22, 2011
- Sikhs mark 415th birth anniversary of Guru Hargobind Sahib at Golden Temple - Jul 05, 2010
- Devotees throng Shiva temples, celebrate 'Shravan' - Jul 16, 2011
- Lucknow celebrates Mahashivratri with fervour - Mar 02, 2011
- Hundreds of devotees gather to offer prayers at Ayodhya temple - Jul 20, 2009
- Where Hindus and Muslims pray together - Mar 11, 2010
- Devotees across India offer prayers to herald auspicious 2010 - Jan 01, 2010
- India celebrates Mahashivratri with fasting and prayers (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2011
- Fasting, prayers mark Mahashivratri in Delhi - Mar 02, 2011
- Delhi celebrates Maha Shivaratri with offerings, fasts and prayers - Feb 20, 2012
- Vaikuntha Ekadasi celebrations in Trichy - Dec 17, 2010