Paramilitary officer among 10 injured in SrinagarMay 3rd, 2009 - 5:44 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 3 (IANS) Violent anti-poll protests in the Jammu and Kashmir summer capital Sunday left 10 people, including a paramilitary officer, injured, officials said.
Deputy commandant of India Reserve Police (IRP) and his three guards were injured when people in old city areas took to the streets in the afternoon as soon as four-day-long strict security restrictions were lifted.
Curfew-like restrictions were in place in downtown areas since Thursday as pro-separatists protested holding elections in the state.
On Sunday when the restrictions were relaxed, hundreds of protestors pelted stones at police and paramilitary troopers.
Police fired warning shots and tear smoke and baton charged the protestors to disperse them. Six protests were injured.
Shouting anti-poll slogans, the protestors attacked and “badly damaged” a vehicle, in which the paramilitary troopers were travelling, in Nowhatta close to Jamia Masjid, police said.
The injured cops have been hospitalised.
Security in Srinagar, which votes May 7, has been upped. Thousands of security men are deployed across the constituency.
Ruling National Conference president Farooq Abdullah is contesting against one time friend and prominent Shia leader Iftikhar Hussain Ansari of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
- Restrictions imposed in Srinagar following tension - Jun 26, 2012
- Protests, undeclared curfew ahead of second phase of polling - Nov 21, 2008
- Security restrictions, shutdown disrupt life in Kashmir - May 12, 2009
- Restrictions, shutdown cripple Srinagar - Jun 21, 2010
- Protests erupt against blasphemous video in Srinagar - Sep 14, 2012
- Restrictions, shutdown ahead of polls in Kashmir - Apr 29, 2009
- No Friday prayers in Srinagar's Jamia Masjid (Lead) - Nov 07, 2008
- 13 wounded in Kashmir anti-poll protests - Apr 28, 2009
- Curbs continue in Srinagar's old city after shrine fire - Jun 29, 2012
- Sporadic anti-poll protests in Kashmir but voting on - Nov 23, 2008
- Undeclared curfew in parts of Srinagar ahead of poll - Dec 22, 2008
- 10 injured in Kashmir clashes (Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
- Separatists' strike affects life in Kashmir - Nov 25, 2011
- Four killed, 47 injured in Kashmir Friday - Aug 13, 2010
- Kashmir cloudburst hits BSF camp, five rescued - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: ansari, city areas, conference president, constituency, democratic party, deputy commandant, farooq abdullah, irp, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, protestors, reserve police, security men, security restrictions, separatists, shia leader, slogans, strict security, time friend, warning shots