Pallam Raju meets Indian peacekeepers in LebanonSeptember 12th, 2008 - 6:26 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sep 12 (ANI): Minister of State for Defence MM Pallam Raju today met the Army contingent deployed in Lebanon on an UN peacekeeping mission.
The Indian contingent comprises of nearly nine hundred personnel deployed in the UN peacekeeping operations.
Raju reviewed the contribution and role of Indian troops in the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL). This is the first visit in more than five years by a Union Minister to any Indian peacekeeping mission abroad.
India has deployed one infantry battalion in Lebanon, which bears responsibility of Eastern position of South Lebanon. During the Israel-Hizbollah 34 day war in 2006, everybody praised the gallant actions of 4 SIKH battalion.
In recognition of the gallant performance, 4 SIKH was presented the UNIFIL Unit citation for its distinguished role. In addition, 73 personnel of 4 SIKH were awarded UNIFIL Force Commander’’s Special Commendation for outstanding performance.
India is the third largest contributor to the UN peacekeeping operations. So far, India has taken part in 43 peacekeeping missions with more than 90,000 troops participating all over the world in various countries like Korea, Congo, Gaza, Somalia, Lebanon, Sudan etc.
The first deployment started in 1950s, when India sent troops to Korea in 1953-54. Presently, India has deployed 8,875 personnel in UN peacekeeping operations worldwide.
The dedication, commitment and devotion to Peace Keeping has made the Indian soldier the most sought after peacekeeper by the United Nations. (ANI)
- Pallam Raju to visit Indian peacekeepers in Lebanon - Sep 08, 2008
- India sends peacekeeping troops to Lebanon - Jan 19, 2009
- Pakistan second-largest troop contributor to UN - Jun 03, 2012
- Assam Rifles contingent leaves for Haiti UN mission - Jun 27, 2012
- UN extends peacekeeping mission in Lebanon - Aug 31, 2012
- Indian peacekeepers honoured in Haiti - May 11, 2012
- Three killed Indian peacekeepers to be honoured - May 25, 2012
- UN Security Council condemns attack on UN mission in Lebanon - May 28, 2011
- India to focus on UN peacekeeping during presidency - Aug 03, 2011
- Sri Lanka army chief meets UN peacekeeping officials - Sep 18, 2011
- Security Council renews mandate of UNIFIL - Aug 31, 2010
- Non-state actors make peacekeeping more challenging: Army chief - Apr 06, 2011
- Indian peacekeepers recognised for services in Congo - Feb 02, 2010
- India, US war drill kicks off in Rajasthan - Mar 05, 2012
- BSF contingent leaving for UN mission in Haiti - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: commendation, force commander, hizbollah, indian peacekeepers, indian soldier, indian troops, infantry battalion, interim force, more than five years, peace keeping, peacekeeper, peacekeeping missions, performance 4, raju, south lebanon, un peacekeeping mission, un peacekeeping operations, unifil, union minister, unit citation