Palin’’s e-mails hacking shows how easy it is to break into a web accountSeptember 25th, 2008 - 6:14 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, September 25 (ANI): The recent hacking of U.S. Republican vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin’’s Yahoo e-mail account has raised fresh concerns over how easy it is to break into any web account.
The hacker said to be David Kernell, son of Democratic Tennessee state Rep. Mike Kernell exploited a flaw in Yahoo’’s webmail service that requires all its users to secure their accounts through easily obtainable information like a pet’’s name, where you met your spouse, or what your high school mascot was.
While a webmail user may consider it to be personal information, it actually is not because someone with even a casual knowledge of ones personal life can answer such questions in certain cases.
Personal blogs and social networking websites like Facebook and MySpace can reveal a lot of information about their users, which a malicious person can misuse to change ones password and have full access to the account.
The task was even easier in Palins case, with journalists revealing her background to inform the public.
According to the Washington Times, it took only 45 minutes for the hacker to reset Palin’’s password by finding out her birthday, ZIP code, and where she had met her husband Todd.
The hacker used the pseudonym “rubico” for the purpose, which the Web site ZDNet linked to Mr. Kernell, according to a posting to a Web bulletin board.
For someone whose personal life is not so public, it would take longer.
However, a hacker can still successfully carryout this task, says the newspaper. (ANI)
- Sarah Palin e-mail hacker gets one year in jail - Nov 13, 2010
- Yahoo confirms 400,000 user accounts stolen by hackers - Jul 13, 2012
- Sarah Palin's e-mail hacker sentenced to 1 year and 1 day in prison - Nov 13, 2010
- Hacker says it was easy to break into Palin''s e-mail - Sep 20, 2008
- Poor security questions put e-mails at risk - Mar 09, 2010
- Yahoo hackers leak passwords - Jul 13, 2012
- Student found guilty of hacking Sarah Palin's e-mail account - May 01, 2010
- How do hackers obtain nude pics of celebs? - Mar 20, 2011
- Hacking can now be made useless - May 18, 2011
- Optimum Online Users Face Technical Issues With Webmail - Jul 16, 2010
- Gmail,Yahoo hit by phishing scheme - Oct 07, 2009
- Upper-casing password can foolproof your e-mail account - Feb 11, 2011
- Chinese hacker leaks data of six mn people - Mar 22, 2012
- Mobile phones hackers' main target - Apr 06, 2012
- 'Hacker' application on Facebook stealing users' personal info - Aug 18, 2010
Tags: e mail account, facebook, kernell, malicious person, nominee sarah, personal life, presidential nominee, pseudonym, rubico, sarah palin, social networking websites, state rep, tennessee state, washington times, web account, web bulletin board, webmail service, webmail user, yahoo e mail, yahoo e mail account