Palin under fire over issues, not gender: Democrat women leadersSeptember 15th, 2008 - 4:35 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Sept.15 (ANI): Four Democratic women leaders say their criticism of Republican vice-presidential nominee and Alaska Governor Sarah Palin has nothing to do with gender, but her inability to give focused responses to issues that matter to Americans in the run up to the November 4 presidential poll.
Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida stated flatly that Palin isnt ready to be vice president.
“She doesn”t know anything,” Wasserman Schultz told on CBS” Face The Nation.
Fellow guest and former Massachusetts Governor Jane Swift said: “We shouldn”t ask of her questions about her ability to do the job that we wouldn”t ask a guy in a similar circumstance. But I think that we also have to acknowledge that, because we”ve had so few women running for these high-level offices, although this is a great year on that front, that we”re also not attuned to hearing women’’s voices and to seeing them in these positions.
“All Sarah Palin is being asked to respond to is whether she’’s up to the task. And it is absolutely fair game. And all I”ve seen is her being asked about her background, her experience, what qualifies her to be vice president, and whether she knows anything. So the tough questions that have been asked of Sarah Palin thus far just have been about the fact that she doesn”t know anything and isn”t ready to be vice president. That’’s fair game and it has nothing to do with her gender, countered Wasserman Schultz.
Wasserman Schultz said. “She’’s been asked to demonstrate her foreign policy knowledge, which she clearly has very little, based on the Charlie Gibson interview. I mean, she didn”t know what the Bush Doctrine was. She really had almost no grasp of America’’s foreign policy. She really knew very little about domestic policy.
When asked of Palin’’s qualifications as governor for the number two spot, Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, Republican (Texas), said her foreign policy credentials were less important.
“I think what we”re looking for and what the McCain-Palin ticket is talking about is changing the way Washington works. And she does have experience in that for sure. She has shaken up Alaska politics. And she has an instinct about reform and ethics that’’s very, very strong that people in this country are looking for, claimed Hutchison.
“The fact of the matter is, John McCain has vast foreign policy experience, and he’’s the candidate for president,” said Hutchison.
Another Governor, Democrat Janet Napolitano of Arizona, said that in the discussion of Palin’’s credentials it was John McCain’’s qualifications that were the issue.
“He chose Sarah Palin because she’’s going to support those views,” Napolitano said. “And that’’s why she shouldn”t be the vice president.” (ANI)
- Sarah Palin to deliver the keynote address at the 100th birth anniversary of Ronald Reagan - Jan 28, 2011
- 67 percent Americans doubt Palin's presidential qualifications, finds poll - Oct 31, 2010
- Sarah Palin's documentary lacks audience - Jul 26, 2011
- Sarah Palin to address annual conclave Saturday - Mar 17, 2011
- Oprah's Comments To 'Parade' Construed As U.S. Is Too Smart To Be Seduced By Sarah Palin's Presidency - Dec 24, 2010
- McCain waxes eloquent on Palin while likening her to "divisive" Reagan - Nov 29, 2010
- Julianne Moore praises Sarah Palin - Feb 28, 2012
- Sarah Palin denies that her bus tour has been canceled - Jun 23, 2011
- Ex-aide attacks Sarah Palin in new book - Feb 20, 2011
- Sarah Palin's reality show to debut next Sunday - Nov 13, 2010
- In India, Palin still nurtures White House ambitions - Mar 20, 2011
- Sarah Palin' biographer Joe McGinniss to leave her neighboring house - Sep 06, 2010
- Julianne Moore to play Sarah Palin - Mar 10, 2011
- Sarah Palin offered $1 mn for lie detector test - Sep 25, 2011
- Jimmy Kimmel pokes fun at Sarah Palin's geography skills in new video - Jul 24, 2010
Tags: alaska governor sarah palin, bush doctrine, cbs face the nation, charlie gibson, debbie wasserman schultz, democrat women, democratic women, face the nation, fair game, fellow guest, governor sarah palin, jane swift, kay bailey hutchison, massachusetts governor jane, presidential poll, representative debbie wasserman schultz, sarah palin, senator kay bailey hutchison, similar circumstance, women leaders