Palin has no role in guarding US airspace as Alaska GovernorOctober 1st, 2008 - 3:52 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Oct 1 (ANI): The Alaska Governor and John McCaina running mate, Sarah Palin, has no command authority over the guardians of US airspace despite her recent suggestion in an interview to CBS News” Katie Couric.
She doesnt have any role in that process, Air Force Maj. Allen Herritage, spokesman for the Alaska North American Aerospace Defense Command, said.
The authority to launch and respond to a Russian incursion lies with the Alaska NORAD Region commander - Air Force Lt. General Dana Atkins, the Daily News quoted him, as saying.
Palin said last week that her foreign policy experience includes facing the Russians.
Its very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia, as Putin rears his head and comes into the airspace of the United States of America - where do they go? Its Alaska, Palin told CBS Katie Couric.
It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, she said.
Moscows bombers have skirted Alaskan airspace 20 times, though they have not violated it, during Palins governorship, officials said.
When F-15 and F-22 interceptors scrambled from Elmendorf Air Force Base in Anchorage in response, McCains running mate was not speed-dialed with the news.
The commander does not call the Governor, Herritage said.
Steven Biegun, a McCain foreign policy adviser, said Palins National Guard commander informs her of the fly-bys.
The Alaska Air Guard, which Palin oversees, performs airspace-watching missions only under NORAD command, and does not fly interception sorties. (ANI)
- Sarah Palin accused of being a 'paranoid' woman - Feb 23, 2011
- Palin's parting kick to CBS News' Katie Couric - Apr 27, 2011
- US, Russia to conduct first joint defence exercise - Aug 03, 2010
- McCain waxes eloquent on Palin while likening her to "divisive" Reagan - Nov 29, 2010
- Palin slammed for using her autobiography for "petty and pathetic" score-settling - Nov 14, 2009
- Sarah Palin ruined 2008 elections for Republicans, says Bush - Nov 06, 2010
- HBO releases 1st picture of Julianne Moore as Sarah Palin - Apr 28, 2011
- Palin drops to fifth place in GOP 2012 presidential primary race - Apr 09, 2011
- Palin's kids' names mocked by CBS anchor Katie Couric - Aug 05, 2010
- Julianne Moore to portray Sarah Palin in new movie 'Game Change' - Apr 28, 2011
- Sarah Palin rules out CBS' Katie Couric interview - Nov 23, 2010
- U.S. fighter jets intercept aircraft along Mexican border in Arizona - May 17, 2010
- Julianne Moore to portray Sarah Palin in a movie - Mar 10, 2011
- Ex-aide attacks Sarah Palin in new book - Feb 20, 2011
- Sarah Palin to deliver the keynote address at the 100th birth anniversary of Ronald Reagan - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: aerospace defense command, air force lt, air force maj, alaska air, alaska governor, american aerospace defense, cbs news, fly bys, governorship, herritage, incursion, interceptors, lt general, national security issues, norad, policy adviser, policy experience, region commander, running mate, sarah palin