Pakistani troops fire at six Indian posts (Second Lead)October 27th, 2010 - 8:39 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Oct 27 (IANS) Pakistani troops fired rockets and mortar shells at six Indian posts in Jammu and Kashmir’s Poonch district Wednesday, officials said and added that Indian troops retaliated, leading to an exchange of fire.
The firing started around 3.30 p.m. at Indian posts along the Line of Control (LoC) in Krishna Ghati sector in Poonch, 210 km north of Jammu.
“Pakistani troops opened heavy machinegun fire and fired rockets and mortar shells at the Indian posts of Kranti and Kirpan and four other posts along the LoC in Krishna Ghati sector,” a senior army officer told IANS by telephone.
Indian troops also retaliated and the exchange of fire was continuing even at 6.30 p.m. There were no reports of any casualties, he said.
This is the second time since Sunday that the Pakistan Army has violated the ceasefire and targeted Indian posts, which the army believes is a “diversionary tactic” to “facilitate infiltration” from across the LoC.
One Indian soldier was killed in Pakistani firing Sunday evening.
According to the army, there are about 450 terrorists waiting across the LoC to sneak into the Indian side.
Brigadier Satish K. Dua told IANS that the Indian troops were maintaining “high degree of vigil along the LoC”.
He said that Pakistan had violated the ceasefire Wednesday despite the Indian protest Monday to its earlier such action Sunday.
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at Indian posts (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at six Indian posts (Night Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- One Indian soldier injured in six-hour firing on LOC (Third Lead) - May 23, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire mortars on LoC, one Indian soldier hurt (Second Lead) - May 23, 2010
- Pakistan halts firing at LoC - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistan violates ceasefire - May 23, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire at Indian posts - Oct 27, 2010
- Indian Army lodges protest over LoC firing (Lead) - Sep 29, 2010
- Pakistan Army rockets Indian posts in Kashmir: army - Sep 29, 2010
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- Indian, Pakistani troops battle on Kashmir border - Jun 19, 2012
- Pakistani troops target Indian border posts - Jan 05, 2012
- Pakistan violates ceasefire along LoC (Second Lead) - Aug 19, 2010
- Pakistan ready for flag meeting after firing - Jun 22, 2012
- One soldier injured in firing from Pakistan - Oct 24, 2010
Tags: army officer, brigadier, ceasefire, diversionary tactic, dua, ghati, indian protest, indian soldier, indian troops, infiltration, jammu and kashmir, kirpan, kranti, krishna, machinegun, mortar shells, pakistan army, pakistani troops, poonch, vigil