Pakistani Paralympics power lifter banned for two years for using steroidsSeptember 10th, 2008 - 6:34 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , Sep 10 (ANI): The Paralympics have been hit with its first doping offence, with Pakistani power lifter Naveed Ahmed Butt getting a two year ban for use of steroids.
The International Paralympics Committee (IPC) said on Tuesday that Butt failed a doping test at the Beijing Paralympics Games.
Butt, 37, tested positive for methandienone metabolites, a steroid, and received a two-year ban, the IPC said in a statement.
The urine sample was taken on September 4 in Beijing , two days before the opening ceremony.
In accordance with the IPC anti-doping code, and after a hearing of the IPC anti-doping committee, the IPC ratified the decision to disqualify Butt from the Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games, the statement said.
Earlier, at the Athens Paralympics 10 athletes tested positive to banned substances after 680 tests were carried out.
The top three nations at this stage in the medals tally are China (16 gold, 53 medals in total), Britain (14 gold, 32 in total), and the USA (10 gold, 26 in total). (ANI)
- Three athletes fail dope test - Oct 11, 2011
- I am innocent, says Ashwini Akkunji - Jul 07, 2011
- Belarus shot putter Ostapchuk banned for one year - Sep 11, 2012
- Athletics body transfers Mandeep, Juana dope cases to NADA - Jul 20, 2011
- Mandeep blames federation for not providing team doctor - Jul 01, 2011
- India's athletes Mandeep, Juana fail dope tests, suspended (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Mandeep denies dope taint, confident of bouncing back - Jul 03, 2011
- Cuba's Olympic athletes declared free of doping - Jul 12, 2012
- IOA demands judicial inquiry in doping scandal - Jul 01, 2011
- SAI cracks the whip on coaches at NIS Patiala (Roundup) - Jul 07, 2011
- Five fresh doping cases in athletics, IOA orders probe (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Asiad, CWG gold winner Ashwini, Priyanka also fail dope test (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Asiad, CWG gold winner Ashwini joins dope-tainted stars (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2011
- Ashwini, Priyanka's B-samples test positive - Jul 11, 2011
- Five athletes flunk dope tests - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: athens, beijing 2008, butt, china, gold, ipc, medals tally, metabolites, methandienone, New Delhi, offence, opening ceremony, paralympic games, paralympics, paralympics games, power lifter, urine sample, use of steroids, using steroids