Pakistani Hindus at Vaishno Devi shrineApril 8th, 2008 - 2:09 pm ICT by admin
Jammu, April 8 (IANS) In what is a first, more than 50 Hindus from Pakistan have crossed the border to pay obeisance at the famed shrine of Shri Mata Vaishno Devi near this Jammu and Kashmir winter capital. Though the group of 52, mostly from Sindh, are also visiting other religious places, it is the first time that pilgrims from Pakistan have been allowed into Jammu and Kashmir for a visit to the shrine, about 60 km from here in the Trikuta hills.
With the Navratras, the nine holy days according to the Hindu calendar, on, this is considered the most auspicious period for seeking blessings of the deity.
“All Pakistanis have started climbing the track from Katra Tuesday morning,” Alok Puri, deputy inspector general of police Udhampur-Reasi range, told IANS.
The devotees from Pakistan had arrived in Katra, the base camp of the shrine, Monday evening, to an enthusiastic welcome from local residents.
“It was nice to have the people from Pakistan for the first time for the visit to Vaishno Devi,” hotelier Jugal Sharma said.
The shrine, located at a height of 5,400 ft, attracts more than 7.5 million pilgrims annually from all over India and abroad.
- Over five million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi till June - Jul 04, 2012
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage suspended due to forest fire - Jun 23, 2012
- Five killed in Jammu bus accident - Jun 09, 2012
- Heavy rush of pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - May 15, 2012
- Record 10 million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi shrine (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Record pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi - Dec 25, 2011
- Katra traders earn profits during 'Navratra' festival - Mar 23, 2010
- Vaishno Devi shrine has record 10 million pilgrims - Dec 28, 2011
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage resumes after forest fire (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Chidambaram in Jammu, visits Vaishno Devi - Apr 10, 2012
- Two Kashmir wrestlers to compete in Pakistan (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- President visits Vaishno Devi shrine, ends Kashmir visit - Nov 26, 2011
- Now, ropeway for pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - Sep 23, 2011
- Chidambaram discusses AFSPA with Kashmir government (Second Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Court suspends mining near Vaishno Devi hills - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: 5 million, blessings, deity, deputy inspector general, devotees, hindu calendar, holy days, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, mata vaishno devi, navratras, obeisance, pakistani hindus, pakistanis, pilgrims, puri, religious places, tuesday morning, vaishno devi shrine, winter capital