Pakistani citizens give mixed reaction to Musharraf’s emergency declarationNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:28 am ICT by admin
“The Pakistan Government was forced to take such a drastic step to invoke emergency in the country due to the troubled state of affairs there. Whatever they have done is right. The root cause behind the decision to invoke emergency is our politicians. Had the politicians been good and capable, the condition of our country would have been much better,” said Ilyas Mehmood, a Pakistani citizen returning to Pakistan.
Haji Kulu Khan, a Pakistani citizen visiting Jodhpur said,”He (Musharraf) has not done a good thing. Elections are slated to be held soon as the people are extremely unhappy. The situation will only worsen after the emergency. We are helpless. There is no employment and no money.”
President Pervez Musharraf imposed a state of emergency in a bid to end an eight-month crisis over his rule stoked by challenges from a hostile judiciary, militants and political rivals.
General Musharraf said he decided to act on Saturday in response to a rise in extremism and what he called the paralysis of government by judicial interference.
There had been increasing speculation that Musharraf, who seized power in a 1999 coup, might declare an emergency rather than run the risk the Supreme Court would rule against his re-election as president last month. (ANI)
- Musharraf killed my mother: Bilawal Bhutto - May 25, 2012
- Musharraf should be put on trial for October 1999 coup: Kaira - Nov 04, 2010
- Zardari ordered army officer to provide security to Musharraf - Nov 17, 2010
- India-Pakistan to ease visa norms: Indian envoy (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Nawaz Sharif "in bed with anti-Pakistan elements": Musharraf - Feb 08, 2011
- Ties with Israel can bring India-Pakistan closer: Musharraf - Jan 07, 2012
- Brit-Pak banker accuses Musharraf's aides of swindling him in land mafia scam - Oct 15, 2010
- Foreign powers control Pakistani Taliban, says politician - Jun 14, 2011
- Britain can't arrest Musharraf for lack of treaty, court told - Apr 23, 2011
- Former Pakistani President Musharraf launches new party - Oct 02, 2010
- India, Pakistan ink visa pact (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Musharraf has 'lost his senses' after losing dictatorship: Raja Riaz - Oct 10, 2010
- Musharraf casts himself as viable alternative in Pakistan - Nov 13, 2010
- Musharraf vows to play 'proactive role in country's politics' following politicians' failure - Jul 20, 2010
- US, Pakistan relationship at its lowest ebb: Musharraf - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: citizen, drastic step, emergency declaration, extremism, general musharraf, haji, ilyas, jodhpur, kulu, pakistan government, pakistani citizens, political rivals, politicians, president pervez musharraf, root cause, state of affairs, state of emergency, troubled state