Pakistan team to visit Baglihar dam todayOctober 20th, 2008 - 11:02 am ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Oct 20 (ANI): A high-level official team from Pakistan will visit Baglihar dam today for an on-the-spot assessment of the water level in Chenab river.
The team will also inspect water storage in the Baglihar dam, besides the water flow in the river.
Pakistan has blamed India for blocking River Chenab’’s flow in order to fill the Baglihar dam on the occasion of its inauguration.
Indus Water Commissioner Jamaat Ali Shah, who arrived here on Saturday, is leading the delegation.
During their two-day visit, Shah is also scheduled to meet his Indian counterpart G Ranganathan on the issue of Chenab river water sharing and other related subjects.
The Pakistani delegation’’s visit to Chenab and the bilateral talks have been warranted by Islamabad’’s allegation that India had stopped the flow of water from the river for construction of Baglihar power project in Jammu and Kashmir.
According to sources, India had blocked another 9,000 cusecs water, storing it in the Baglihar Dam. They said India had released just 10,739 cusecs at the Marala Head Works without giving any prior notice, which was in violation of the Indus Waters Treaty 1960.
In their meeting on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had assured President Asif Ali Zardari that New Delhi would not violate the treaty, but another violation has surfaced in less than a fortnight.
Since flows are reduced in the Chenab River, Pakistan received 19,351 cusecs on Thursday, which was reduced to just 10,739 cusecs on Saturday.
The Chenab water has been blocked despite the fact that the Indian authorities are going to allow an inspection of the Baglihar project and to also hold a meeting of the permanent Indus Waters Commission from October 18-24. (ANI)
- Pakistan team to visit Baglihar dam on Monday - Oct 19, 2008
- Pak blames India for blocking River Chenabs flow - Oct 12, 2008
- Pakistani team inspects artificial lake site in Jammu - Feb 20, 2011
- Pak calls India's Kishanganga Dam clear violation of Indus Waters treaty - Nov 12, 2010
- India rejects Pakistan's demand for Chenab flow compensation - Oct 25, 2008
- Pak to move WB for water compensation from India - Nov 20, 2008
- Dissatisfied Pakistani team returns after water talks with India - Jun 03, 2010
- 'Indus water shortage has affected both India, Pakistan' - Feb 10, 2010
- India, Pakistan commissioners on Indus water meet in Delhi - May 31, 2010
- Pakistan to seek compensation for Baglihar dam - Nov 12, 2008
- India, Pakistan begin talks on Chenab row - Oct 23, 2008
- Pak accuses India of violating Indus Water Treaty - Sep 12, 2008
- Pak team inspects Baglihar hydro-electric power project - Oct 20, 2008
- Pakistan officials inspect Baglihar dam in Jammu and Kashmir - Oct 20, 2008
- No war over Indus waters issue: Indian official (Lead) - Feb 10, 2010
Tags: asif ali zardari, baglihar dam, baglihar project, bilateral talks, chenab river, indian authorities, indian counterpart, jamaat ali shah, jammu and kashmir, manmohan, manmohan singh, pakistan team, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, river chenab, river water, un general assembly, water commissioner, water sharing, water storage