Pakistan Prime Minister brings fresh hope to SarabjitJune 21st, 2008 - 10:44 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad , June 21 (ANI): Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani today told the Pakistan Parliament that the Interior Ministry would be asked to a request plea to the President Pervez Musharraf to commute the sentence of those on death row to life imprisonment.
The step will facilitate the release of Sarabjit Singh, the 42-year-old Indian in jail for last 18 years for his alleged role in the 1990 bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan . He has been on death row since the Pakistan ’s Supreme Court rejected his petition for mercy in March 2006.
The President has powers to commute sentences in Pakistan .
Burney, a former human rights minister in the Pakistan interim government, termed it as a great decision, which would help Sarabjit and others who have completed their life sentences.
He said that he would inform Sarabjit Singh’s family
On the impact of the decision, Burney said that those who had completed their life sentence would be released as early as possible.
But for those who had not completed it, it will take a bit of time, he added.
On April 21, Ansar Burney filed a mercy petition to President Pervez Musharraf seeking clemency for Sarabjit Singh.
On April 18, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee had requested Islamabad to grant clemency to Sarabjit on humanitarian grounds.
Bharatiya Janata Party leader L K Advani had also sought clemency for Sarabjit.
Sarabjits family denies he is a spy as claimed by Pakistan , and insists he accidentally strayed into Pakistani territory.
Singh’s family has stated that files containing evidence that would help in his acquittal are lost in Pakistan . (ANI)
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Soni appeals for Sarabjit's release - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- '18 Pakistani PoWs still awaiting release after 39 years' - Dec 16, 2010
- India calls for Sarabjit's release, upset at Pakistan's U-turn (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
- Ansar Burney to file fresh mercy petition for Sarabjit - Jun 24, 2009
- Salman launches online petition for Sarabjit's release - Jun 30, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: ansar burney, bomb blasts, clemency, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, fresh hope, humanitarian grounds, interim government, interior ministry, l k advhuman rights minister, life imprisonment, life sentence, life sentences, mercy petition, pakistani territory, party leader, pervez musharraf, pranab mukherjee, president pervez musharraf