Pakistan Foreign Minister talks to Mukherjee on CBMsJune 27th, 2008 - 10:29 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 27 (ANI): Foreign Minister of Pakistan Shah Mahmood Qureshi held talks with his Indian counterpart Pranab Mukherjee here today to take the peace process forward between the two countries.
The meeting was the second between Mukherjee and his Pakistani counterpart, since a civilian Government took power in Islamabad and comes ahead of a new round of peace talks scheduled to begin in July.
On his arrival here today on a four-day visit Qureshi said, “the ongoing peace process is central to peace, security and prosperity in our region.”
Briefing media persons at a joint press conference after the talks, Mukherjee said that the two sides considered confidence building measures (CBM) along the Line of Control (LOC).
Qureshi said that the CBMs have been useful and there is need for more CBMs.
A senior Indian foreign ministry official had earlier said that the proposal to start a truck service to promote trade between Indian and Pakistani-administered zones of Kashmir “could get a push” at the talks.
The proposal has been languishing for months. He also said that other measures to improve confidence, including new bus and rail links between the two neighbours, would also be considered.
Mukherjee also said that the two sides discussed the proposed joint Iran-Pakistan-India gas pipeline.
Representatives of Iran, India and Pakistan will meet next month to discuss the building of a 7.4 billion dollars pipeline to transport natural gas from Iran to the subcontinent. (ANI)
- India asks Pakistan to declare its n-doctrine, join FMCT - Dec 29, 2011
- India, Pakistan experts to meet over nuclear CBMs - Jul 05, 2012
- India, Pakistan to discuss conventional, nuke CBMs Monday - Dec 22, 2011
- India, Pakistan to renew n-accidents pact - Dec 27, 2011
- Remove heavy guns from LoC: Pakistan proposes to India - Dec 27, 2011
- India, Pakistan talks on CBMs Thursday - Jul 18, 2012
- India, Pakistan to announce CBMs on Kashmir, nuclear issues - Jul 08, 2011
- Pakistan, India hold talks on CBMs - Dec 26, 2011
- India, Pakistan to settle transit fee on Turkmenian gas (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- India pushes for 26/11 CBM, Pakistan rejects state role (Evening Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- India, Pakistan exchange n-facilities list (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Cross-Kashmir CBMs ahead of India, Pakistan talks - Jul 16, 2011
- India, Pakistan hopeful of revival of bilateral ties - Jul 16, 2010
- India pushes hard for 26/11 CBM, Pakistan rejects state role (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2012
- India asks Pakistan for 'satisfactory closure' of 26/11 trial - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: billion dollars, civilian government, confidence building, foreign minister, foreign ministry, gas pipeline, india and pakistan, indian counterpart, iran pakistan, islamabad, mahmood qureshi, media persons, ministry official, neighbours, pakistan india, peace process, peace talks, pranab mukherjee, shah mahmood, subcontinent