Pakistan cricket tour on schedule, says Sri Lanka sports ministerDecember 24th, 2008 - 7:41 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Dec 24 (IANS) Dismissing media reports, Sri Lanka sports minister Gamini Lokuge said Wednesday that the tour of Pakistan by the country’s cricket team “is almost on as scheduled”. Lokuge, who Tuesday dissolved the Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) interim administration led by former cricket captain Arjuna Ranatunga, told IANS that next month’s tour of Pakistan “is 90 percent on”.
“I can tell you that our tour of Pakistan is 90 percent on. But I am taking up the issue with President Mahinda Rajapaksa and the foreign ministry to discuss mainly the security related situation there,” Lokuge told IANS.
The then SLC administration of Ranatunga Friday said it had formally accepted Pakistan’s invitation to undertake a full tour in January to fill in for India who cancelled its scheduled tour in the aftermath of the Mumbai terror attack. India were scheduled to play three Tests, five one-dayers and a Twenty20 match.
The SLC while accepting Pakistan Cricket Board’s (PCB) request for the tour said it was “basically Sri Lanka supporting Pakistan as a neighbour”.
The SLC, however, said that it had already requested the PCB to send a report on the security situation as it had been the reason for some cricket playing nations refusing to tour Pakistan.
- Sri Lanka sports minister says Pakistan tour is on (Lead) - Dec 24, 2008
- Sri Lanka willing to host India ahead of Pakistan tour - Jan 04, 2009
- Sri Lanka wants to host India amid Pakistan tour (Supersedes earlier version) - Jan 04, 2009
- Ranatunga says SL selectors must resign over team's poor performance - Jan 16, 2012
- India unhappy with Sri Lanka's cricket tour to Pakistan: Reports - Dec 28, 2008
- Sri Lankan sports minister orders report on cricket crisis - Jan 17, 2012
- Sri Lanka seek ICC security clearance for Pakistan tour (Lead) - Dec 26, 2008
- Sri Lanka Cricket interim committee dissolved - Dec 23, 2008
- Sri Lanka Cricket led by Ranatunga dissolved - Dec 23, 2008
- Desperate PCB mulls using diplomatic channel to salvage Lanka series - Dec 25, 2008
- PCB happy after Sri Lanka clears cricket tour - Dec 26, 2008
- Lorgat denies making statement over Pak security: PCB - Dec 23, 2008
- PCB to request Zardari to save home series against Sri Lanka - Dec 24, 2008
- Sri Lanka tour of Pak hits a roadblock - Dec 31, 2008
- Sri Lanka's Pakistan tour awaiting clearances - Mar 28, 2011
Tags: cricket captain, cricket team, cricket tour, gamini, interim administration, mahinda rajapaksa, mumbai terror attack, pakistan cricket board, president mahinda rajapaksa, sri lanka cricket, terror attack