Pak supporting terror groups operating inside India: AntonySeptember 15th, 2008 - 1:39 pm ICT by ANI
By Praful Kumar Singh
New Delhi, Sep 15 (ANI): Union Defence Minister A K Antony today reacted strongly to the failed infiltration bid by militants in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir, and pointed fingers at Pakistan for supporting terror groups operating inside India.
A large number of non-state armed groups have sanctuaries in our neighbouring states who use these bases and resources to carry out acts of terrorism across India, he said.
Militants are getting support from across the border and this is a fact, Antony said on the sidelines of a seminar organised by Centre for Joint Warfare Studies (CENJOWS).
The Pakistani troops in a major ceasefire violation fired at Indian forward posts in Mendhar and Soujian sectors in Poonch district on Saturday and Sunday. Sources also reported a major ceasefire violation in Rajouri district, where Pakistani troops reportedly fired 8-10 rockets on Sagar-Bhala Gun hilltop, Gorha, Chaja and other posts.
The recent firings along the LoC is mainly an infiltration attempt by militants and the armed forces are keeping a vigil on it, Antony said.
The Defence Minister said that by and large we have been able to defeat the attempts of militants, and added that in coming few months are crucial and we have to be more alert and the armed forces have been asked to be more vigilant.
Commenting on whether Pakistan is still supporting terrorism, Antony said: Pakistan is in transition to democracy again and we wish that there is peace and stability.
Meanwhile, Army Chief General Deepak Kapoor said: Infiltration is an ongoing process. It has increased in past one-and-half months. As of now normalcy is returning in Jammu and Kashmir and the militants are trying to disturb it.
Sources said two soldiers were injured in the cross-border firing on Saturday and Sunday. In the recent months more than two-dozen clashes have taken place along the LoC. (ANI)
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- Pakistan halts firing at LoC - Jun 21, 2012
- Ceasefire violation at LoC in J&K; - May 22, 2012
- Army foils infiltration bid in Poonch - Sep 13, 2012
- Pakistan again violates LoC truce - Mar 22, 2012
- Major ceasefire violation by Pak Army along LoC in Poonch - Aug 19, 2010
- India to Pakistan: Truce violations jeopardise peace - Jun 23, 2012
- Soldier injured in Pakistani firing on LoC - Jun 17, 2012
- Pakistani troops fire on Indian posts in Kashmir - Feb 17, 2011
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at six Indian posts (Night Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at Indian posts (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire at six Indian posts (Second Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- 450 terrorists waiting to enter India, says army - Oct 25, 2010
- BSF soldier injured in Poonch ceasefire violation - May 02, 2010
- 'Kashmir counter-insurgency operations in more difficult phase' - Jan 10, 2012
Tags: acts of terrorism, antony, army chief, ceasefire, chief general, cross border, deepak kapoor, defence minister, infiltration, jammu and kashmir, militants, neighbouring states, normalcy, pakistani troops, peace and stability, praful, saturday and sunday, terror groups, two soldiers, warfare studies