Pak still undecided over commuting death sentences into lifeJuly 15th, 2008 - 1:06 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad , July 15 (ANI): The Pakistan Government has not yet approved a decision to commute all pending death sentences to life imprisonment, the countrys Attorney-General Malik Mohammad Qayyum told the Supreme Court yesterday.
He requested the Apex Court to grant two weeks time to take a final decision in this regard, saying that he could not consult the prime minister or the federal law minister on the matter as both were abroad, reported the Dawn.
A three-member Supreme Court bench comprising Chief Justice Abdul Hameed Dogar, Justice Mohammad Qaim Jan Khan and Justice Chaudhry Ejaz Yousaf, is hearing a suo motu case taken up on reports that the decision would benefit 7000 death-row prisoners.
On June 21, Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gillani had announced that the government intended to recommend to the president to commute death sentences of all prisoners into life imprisonment as a tribute to Benazir Bhutto.
On July 6, the chief justice had ordered the attorney-general and ministries of interior and law to explain the governments position on the matter.
According to a leading legal expert, the Apex Court had taken action because it could not take decisions on a large number of appeals filed by convicts who had been awarded death sentences. The court later adjourned the case till August 1. (ANI)
- Supreme Court modifies Graham Staines murder verdict - Jan 25, 2011
- Apex court calls for files of 18 mercy pleas (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Mentally ill can't be hanged, Bhullar tells apex court - Nov 09, 2011
- Staines murder case: Dara Singh seeks review of SC judgement - Mar 09, 2011
- Supreme Court modifies words in Graham Staines murder verdict - Jan 25, 2011
- Apex court seeks details of mercy pleas decided in 2011 (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Apex court upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan - Jul 10, 2012
- Chidambaram should face contempt of court trial: Swamy - Aug 23, 2012
- CJI to decide bench for hearing death row convict's plea - Feb 09, 2012
- SC slams Punjab government for 'drama' in Rajoana case - Mar 29, 2012
- Kasab claims trial court's death penalty verdict flawed (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- SC upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Apex court upholds life for Graham Staines' killers (Second Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- Pakistani prisoner in jail after term ends deported - Mar 21, 2012
- Why not death to you, apex court asks Hawara - Dec 05, 2011
Tags: apex court, benazir bhutto, chaudhry, chief justice, convicts, countrys, death row prisoners, death sentences, dogar, ejaz, hameed, law minister, legal expert, life imprisonment, pakistan government, qaim, qayyum, suo motu, supreme court bench, yousaf