Pak singer Rahat Fateh Ali Khan released, cannot leave IndiaFebruary 14th, 2011 - 9:48 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 14 (ANI): The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) on Monday released Pakistani singer Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, a day after he was detained at Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport for possessing illegal foreign currency.
Khan, however, cannot leave India, as his passport has been impounded.
The DRI has impounded Khan’s passport along with the passports of his two associates Mahroof and Chitresh, who also have been set free.
According to reports, Khan and his associates have been asked to appear for questioning before the DRI on February 17.
The DRI is set to estimate the fine to be paid by the Pakistani singer.
Earlier today, revenue intelligence officials questioned the singer extensively to find out where the money came from and why it was not declared.
Khan was detained on Sunday for allegedly attempting to leave the country with over 124,000 dollars.
Indian laws allow up to 5,000 dollars in cash, or 10,000 dollars in traveller’s cheques to be taken abroad.
Khan, along with his troupe of about 20 people, was scheduled to fly to Lahore on a Emirates flight after a series of performances in India. (ANI)
- Pak singer Rahat Fateh Ali Khan arrested after detention - Feb 14, 2011
- Rahat Ali's arrest in India 'conspiracy against Pakistani artistes', claims Pak MPA - Feb 19, 2011
- Rahat's visa to be extended for probe - Feb 15, 2011
- Pakistani singer Rahat Ali Khan, manager fined Rs. 15 lakh - Feb 20, 2011
- Rahat freed, but asked to stay in India pending probe (Intro Night Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Rahat's visa to be extended, Pakistan thanks India for release (Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Malik asks for details of Pak singer Rahat Fateh Ali Khan's Delhi airport detention - Feb 14, 2011
- Rahat Fateh Ali Khan freed - Feb 14, 2011
- Pakistan singer Rahat Ali to face Revenue Intelligence in Delhi - Feb 18, 2011
- Rahat, manager fined Rs.1.5 each - Feb 20, 2011
- Rahat Fateh Ali Khan freed, not allowed to leave India (Night Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Goa's Education Minister detained at Mumbai airport - Apr 02, 2011
- Pakistan minister thanks Chidambaram for Rahat release - Feb 15, 2011
- Rahat case fallout: Pakistani artistes need NOC to go abroad - Feb 25, 2011
- Rahat Fateh Ali Khan arrested, to be produced in court (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
Tags: dri, emirates, fateh ali khan, feb 14, february 17, fly, foreign currency, India, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, intelligence officials, money, New Delhi, pakistani singer, passport, passports, rahat fateh ali, rahat fateh ali khan, revenue intelligence, traveller