Pak selectors ready to give Shoaib enough time to regain formOctober 27th, 2008 - 4:40 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, Oct 27 (ANI): Despite fast bowler Shoaib Akhtars dismal performances in the ongoing domestic tournament Pentangular Cup and the Twenty20 event in Toronto earlier this month, the countrys chief selector Saleem Jaffer, himself a former pacer, has exuded confidence in the Rawalpindi Express saying he was pushing hard to get back into the team, and that the selectors would give him enough time to regain the lost form.
As a fast bowler myself, Im aware that pacers need time on their comeback. Shoaib knows that he has to take little steps on his way back in international cricket. We are willing to give him time and will only sit down for final selection (of the Pakistan squad) after the next Pentangular Cup match, The News quoted him as saying.
He added: Shoaib, who is aiming to make his one-day return in Abu Dhabi, is bowling well. He is pushing and trying to do better in every over. He is just lacking on stamina.
According to the paper, on Sunday Shoaib needed four spells to bowl nine over in a Pentangular Cup match against Sindh here at the National Stadium as national selectors keenly observed his performance along with several other players who are in contention for next months one-day series against the West Indies in Abu Dhabi.
Playing for Federal Areas, Shoaib scalped Sindh opener Khalid Latif and ended with figures of 1-25 at stumps.
The next Pentangular Cup match begins from October 31 and Jaffer said that the national selection committee will meet during that game to decide Pakistan s combination for the series against the West Indies to be played from November 12-16.
We will announce the 15-man squad by November 3, around five or six days before the teams departure for Abu Dhabi , he said. (ANI)
- Shoaib in contention for Abu Dhabi ODI series - Oct 27, 2008
- Shoaib Akhtar impresses chief selector at Pentagular Cup - Apr 22, 2010
- Abdul Qadir resigned due to "lack of independence", dispute over Akhtar's selection - Dec 29, 2010
- Nannes to join Aussies as standby player for World Cup - Mar 07, 2011
- Lively Sabina Park track a test for injury-plagued India against Windies - Jun 19, 2011
- PCB leaves Shoaibs fate to be decided by new selectors - Nov 17, 2008
- Shoaib Akhtar all set to return to Pak team for Asia Cup - Jun 01, 2010
- 'No longer Test material" Shoaib may still make comeback for Asia Cup - May 29, 2010
- Shoaib Ahtar escapes unhurt after car accident (Second Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Shoaib Malik hopeful of comeback in series against SA - Oct 02, 2010
- Akhtar likely to return in Pakistan team - May 25, 2010
- Windies begin final preparations for World T20 - Sep 01, 2012
- Azam, Adnan, Taufeeq may replace Razzaq, Kamran, Shahzad in Pak team: Afridi - Apr 06, 2011
- No room for both Tait and Lee in Oz WC squad - Jan 14, 2011
- PCB irked with Malik over unavailability for Pentangular Cup - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: abu dhabi, contention, event in toronto, federal areas, final selection, international cricket, latif, little steps, man squad, national selection committee, national selectors, october 31, pacer, pacers, rawalpindi, sindh, six days, stamina, stumps, west indies