Pak security forces kill 14 militants in MohmandDecember 3rd, 2008 - 10:04 pm ICT by ANI
Peshawar, Dec 3 (ANI): Pakistani security forces have taken control of another important town in the troubled Bajaur tribal region while 21 people, including 14 militants, were killed in an air strike in the adjacent Mohmand tribal region on Wednesday, officials said.
Officials and local people said that troops backed by tanks and armored personnel carriers secured Nawagai town, some 30 kilometers northwest of Khar near the Afghan border.
Local people welcomed the troops and hoisted white flags on their rooftops, Dawn reported.
Militants did not put up resistance and forces captured the entire town. Residents said militants had already vacated their positions. The town, which is adjacent to Afghanistans Kunar province, was a stronghold of the militants. Forces had secured hilltops and took positions in all sensitive areas.
Officials said authorities had asked the displaced people to return to their homes. Sources said militants had set up a vast network in the town where they had set up detention centers, constructed tunnels and bunkers.
After Lowi Sam, Nawagai is the second major town in the troubled region which has been fully secured.
Forces had launched an operation in Bajaur on August 6 to flush out militants and establish the government’’s writ.
Officials claimed that heavy casualties had been inflicted on militants in operation Sher Dill (Lion Heart), killing more than 1,500 miscreants.
Meanwhile jet fighters and helicopters hit suspected positions in Lakaro sub division of Mohmand tribal region on Wednesday inflicting casualties on militants, official sources said.
According to unconfirmed reports, 14 militants and seven civilians were killed in the air strike carried out in Ziarat, Ghaziabad, Bagh Pahar and Karier areas. Militants led by Umar Khalid have a strong presence in these areas adjacent to Bajaur. (ANI)
- Two Pakistani Taliban leaders killed - Sep 02, 2012
- 18 militants killed in army operation in Pakistan - Aug 30, 2012
- Taliban militants destroy another girls' school in FATA - Jul 12, 2010
- 22,000 flee due to fighting in Pakistan - Feb 04, 2011
- 3 militiamen, over 20 militants killed in Pakistan clashes - Aug 25, 2012
- Pak troops kill 38 Taliban in South Waziristan - Jul 11, 2010
- 23 militants surrender in Pakistan - Apr 22, 2011
- 15 dead in Pakistan check post attack (Lead) - Apr 22, 2011
- Two Pakistanis dead in Taliban attack - Nov 02, 2011
- Troops kill 30 militants in Pakistan - Mar 05, 2010
- Female suicide bomber kills 44 in Pakistan (Fifth Lead) - Dec 25, 2010
- Nine militants killed in Pakistan - Dec 11, 2010
- US national arrested in Pakistan - Feb 26, 2011
- Taliban 'captures' dozens of Pak soldiers in FATA - Jun 17, 2010
- 11 Pak soldiers killed in militant attacks on 5 security posts near Afghan border - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: armored personnel carriers, bagh, bunkers, detention centers, ghaziabad, hilltops, jet fighters, karier, khalid, khar, lion heart, militants, miscreants, pahar, peshawar, rooftops, security forces, sensitive areas, town residents, white flags