Pak security forces clueless about missing foreign diplomats, journalistsNovember 16th, 2008 - 5:11 pm ICT by ANI
Peshawar, Nov 16 (ANI): Security forces in Pakistan have been unsuccessful in finding clues about the kidnapped Afghan and Iranian diplomats, besides a host of foreign nationals in the country.
Security personnel raided various parts of the city and its surroundings to recover the kidnapped Iranian diplomat Hashmatullah Attarzadeh. A few people were also arrested and quizzed but no clue was found, The News quoted sources as saying.
According to the paper, there was tremendous pressure on the police and other law-enforcement agencies to take early steps for the recovery of the third secretary and commercial attache of the Iranian Consulate in Peshawar.
The consulate was abducted on November 13 after gunmen shot dead his driver in Hayatabad. The incident occurred a day after Stephen D Vance, an American official working on a development project in FATA was assassinated in the University Town. His local driver was also killed.
The paper said that its generally believed that some hidden elements are targeting diplomats and other high-profile foreigners in the provincial metropolis under a conspiracy to portray a negative image of the region.
Apart from the Iranian diplomat, Afghan envoy to Islamabad Abdul Khaliq Farahi is missing for the past two months. The other kidnapped persons from the city include brother of Afghan finance minister, a professor of the Aryana University in Kabul and many others.
Besides, a foreigner female journalist went missing from Lakki Marwat while another high-profile Afghan national was kidnapped from Chitral. Likewise, a Chinese journalist picked up by Swat militants is still in their captivity. (ANI)
- Pak Police to set up special zones to safeguard diplomats in Peshawar - Nov 19, 2008
- Kidnapped Iranian, Afghan diplomats being kept beyond Pak provincial police jurisdiction - Dec 25, 2008
- Pak police claims kidnappers of Iranian, Afghan envoy arrested - Dec 24, 2008
- Abducted Afghan envoy Farahi released after two years - Nov 14, 2010
- Kidnappers of Afghan Ambassador to Pak break silence after a year-and-a-half - May 03, 2010
- Iranian diplomat in Pakistan kidnapped, guard killed - Nov 13, 2008
- Iranian diplomat kidnapped in Pakistan - Nov 13, 2008
- Bomb blast outside Lakki Marwat police lines kills two, including terrorist - Dec 31, 2010
- Aid workers pull out of Peshawar as Islamists hold city to ransom - Nov 22, 2008
- Kidnapped Afghan envoy recovered in Pakistan - Sep 30, 2008
- Abducted Afghan envoy freed in Peshawar - Sep 30, 2008
- Japanese journalist attacked in northwestern Pakistan - Nov 15, 2008
- Abducted Iranian diplomat rescued in Pakistan - Mar 30, 2010
- Afghan ambassador-designate kidnapped in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 22, 2008
- Abducted Afghan diplomat's family urges speedy rescue efforts - Nov 10, 2008
Tags: abducted, aryana, captivity, chinese journalist, chitral, commercial attache, country security, early steps, farahi, female journalist, finance minister, foreign nationals, foreigner, hidden elements, iranian consulate, iranian diplomat, iranian diplomats, law enforcement agencies, negative image, security personnel