Pak releases last batch of Indian fishermenSeptember 7th, 2010 - 10:52 pm ICT by ANI
Wagah, Sep.7 (ANI): Pakistani Rangers handed over the last batch of 141 of the 442 released Indian fishermen to the Border Security Force (BSF) officials here on Tuesday afternoon at the Wagah-Attari border. The officials from the Pakistan Rangers repatriated the fishermen at the zero line, who were later received by the BSF officials.
These fishermen had been arrested by the Pakistani maritime force for violating the maritime boundary between Pakistan-India.
These fishermen were released following the Supreme Court’s orders on a petition filed by the Pakistan Institute of Labour Education and Research (PILER) and the Pakistan Fisherfolk Forum (PFF).
Even as most of the arrested Indian prisoners have been released but, reportedly, about 15 of them are still waiting for their release order as the Indian High
Commission is yet to confirm their nationality.
The released fishermen urged the Pakistani government to free the other Indian
fishermen who have been still languishing in Pakistani jails.
They also appealed to the Government of India to reciprocate the Pakistani gesture by releasing Pakistani fishermen, who were arrested by the Indian guards for inadvertently crossing into the Indian territory. (ANI)
- Pak releases 89 Indian fishermen - Apr 15, 2011
- Pakistan releases second batch of 100 Indian fishermen - Sep 03, 2010
- India releases eight Pakistani prisoners at Wagah check post - Mar 08, 2011
- India hands over four Pakistani prisoners at Wagah border - Jun 30, 2010
- Pakistan arrests 31 Indian fishermen - Jan 22, 2012
- 101 Indian fishermen return home from Pak through Wagah land route - Sep 05, 2010
- Pakistan releases 100 jailed Indian fishermen - Aug 30, 2010
- India repatriates 31 Pakistani fishermen - Jan 02, 2010
- 100 released Indian fishermen reach home - Sep 01, 2010
- India releases 19 Pakistani fishermen - Jun 01, 2010
- Pakistan releases 180 Indian prisoners (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Pakistan to release 89 Indian fishermen - Apr 11, 2011
- India repatriates 91 Pakistanis - Jul 26, 2011
- Peaceniks welcome end to Attari border 'confrontation' - Nov 05, 2010
- Surjeet freed, to come home via Wagah (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: border security force, gesture, government of india, indian fishermen, indian high commission, indian prisoners, indian territory, jails, labour education, maritime boundary, nationality, pakistan india, pakistan institute, pakistan rangers, pakistani government, pakistani rangers, petition, piler, tuesday afternoon, zero line