Pak quake survivors beg for shelter as winter sets inNovember 3rd, 2008 - 2:19 pm ICT by ANI
Peshawar , Nov 3 (ANI): The quake-hit people in Balochistan are begging for shelter from the Pakistani authorities ahead of the winter season.
A strong earthquake of 6.5 magnitude on the Richter Scale had struck the province on Wednesday, killing at least 215 people and destroying thousands of mud houses.
The epicentre was in Ziarat a picturesque valley where night-time temperatures have falling below freezing.
Weve got food, weve got relief, but we dont have tents which can save our children from the cold, said Rehmat Kakar, a 70-year-old farmer standing by the rubble of his house in Wam Khazi village.
We want those tents urgently … please save our children, dont let them die, Kakar said and added that four of his seven children were killed in the quake. Scores of aftershocks some nearly as strong as the original quake have jolted the region since Wednesday.
Meanwhile, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has appealed for 7.7 million dollars to step up its emergency operations. Our priority will be to provide shelter as winter sets in, said Pascal Cuttat, the head of the ICRC delegation in Islamabad .
Because of continuing aftershocks, many people decided to sleep outdoors at altitudes of 2000 to 2500 metres, he added.
Another villager said with winter just weeks away, government aid efforts would be too slow. They should just give us money and let us rebuild our own houses, said Abdul Wahid. (ANI)
- Pakistan set to start assessment of quake damages - Nov 02, 2008
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- 400 killed, 10,000 injured in China earthquake (Fourth Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- 1,000 feared killed as major quake jolts Turkey - Oct 23, 2011
- China quake kills 64, injures over 700 (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- 24 killed, 150 injured in China quake (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Pakistani man to donate money quake-hit families - Jan 23, 2011
- Turkey quake toll reaches 279 - Oct 25, 2011
- Aftershocks hamper rescue efforts in quake-hit Turkey - Mar 09, 2010
- Over 20 aftershocks hit Japan (Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- 23 killed in China earthquake (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- 300 dead, 8,000 hurt in China earthquake (Third Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- Japan faces nuclear fallout, quake toll may be 10,000 (Intro Roundup) - Mar 13, 2011
- Race to reach survivors as China quake toll hits 617 (Lead) - Apr 15, 2010
- Andhra to get third 'children's village' - Mar 12, 2012
Tags: aftershocks, aid efforts, altitudes, balochistan, cross icrc, emergency operations, epicentre, government aid, international committee, islamabad, mud houses, night time temperatures, pakistani authorities, peshawar, picturesque valley, quake survivors, richter scale, villager, winter season, winter sets