Pak Medical Council for recognition of Indian MBBS degreeMay 5th, 2008 - 1:21 pm ICT by admin
Lahore, May 5 (ANI): The Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC) is reportedly contemplating to grant recognition of MBBS degree of India, but on the condition that the step is reciprocated by the Indian Medical Council (IMC).
The step could provide an opportunity to patients, especially those suffering from cardiac problems, to benefit from the expertise of Indian doctors, said Pakistan Medical Association (PMA) Secretary Dr Haq Nawaz.
A PMDC official said the Council received a request from a medical association of Aligarh regarding recognition of the MBBS degree of India and it was deliberating on the proposition. He said the Council had decided that the case should be processed through the Indian government and the Indian Medical Council.
PMDC Secretary Dr Nadeem Akbar said the Council had been primarily exploring the possibilities of such arrangements at the SAARC level.
It will be better if the recognition of the MBBS degrees is not limited to India, the Dawn quoted him as saying.
Welcoming the initiative, a senior doctor said a number of Pakistanis worked in the UN agencies and embassies in SAARC countries, especially India, and their spouses (who are medical professionals) could not practice medicine because of non-recognition of degrees. Same was the case with the spouses (medical professionals) of those working here, he added.
If the proposal of recognition of MBBS degrees is implemented on a reciprocal basis, it will benefit the people of SAARC countries mutually, he said. (ANI)
- 6,00,000 fake doctors operating across Pakistan - May 01, 2011
- Doctors with diplomate board degrees can teach in colleges - Oct 27, 2010
- Centre to dissolve Medical Council of India - May 14, 2010
- Indian doctor makes to the top in Canada (With Image) - Jul 18, 2010
- Indian-American doctor offers healthcare solutions for India - Aug 13, 2012
- After court rap, doctor's group unsure about PIL on Ketan Desai - Dec 21, 2010
- Apex court warns private medical colleges against lapses (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Zero in exam? In Andhra, you can still get admission - Jul 07, 2012
- 'Akram accused doctors of negligence when asked to pay dues of wife's treatment' - Jan 08, 2010
- Lahore High Court stays removal of negligence-accused doctors in Huma Akram's death - Jan 06, 2010
- Court questions Delhi University on medical admissions - Jul 03, 2011
- Medical students in Shillong back to classes after stir - Jul 05, 2011
- Court allows three medical colleges to admit more students - Sep 29, 2011
- Apex court warns private medical colleges against lapses - Jun 30, 2011
- Doctors group protests Desai's election to Gujarat University senate - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: akbar, cardiac problems, dawn, dental council, embassies, haq nawaz, indian doctors, indian government, indian medical council, mbbs degree, mbbs degrees, medical professionals, nadeem, pakistan medical association, pakistanis, pma, pmdc, possibilities, reciprocal basis, saarc countries