Pak, India may soon liberalise visa regimeJune 6th, 2008 - 3:08 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad , June 6 (ANI): Pakistan and India are considering liberalising their visa regime to ease travel by people from the two countries, Pakistan Foreign Affairs Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi has said.
Speaking in the National Assembly last evening, he said a draft visa agreement was under discussion in the composite dialogue process between the two countries.
I will be visiting India soon and hope there will be a positive development in this regard, the Daily Times quoted him as saying.
He added that efforts were also being made to exempt citizens of both countries from having to register with police during their visits to each others countries.
The minister also said that 518 Pakistani nationals were currently imprisoned in India , but Indian authorities have acknowledged the presence of only 147 Pakistani prisoners in its jails. Qureshi said the Indian government had assured the Pakistan Mission in New Delhi that it would shortly provide names of the remaining prisoners.
In this regard, the minister said that Islamabad and New Delhi had recently signed an agreement to give consular access to prisoners from the two countries.
Under the agreement, he added, the Indian authorities will have to inform the Pakistani authorities about who has been detained and what crime it is alleged they have committed. He further said that a judicial committee was due to visit prisoners in Pakistan next week, followed by the rapid to prisons in India to ensure the expeditious release of the prisoners who had completed their sentences. (ANI)
- India, Pakistan defer signing of visa pact, discuss 26/11 (Second Lead) - May 26, 2012
- 761 Pakistanis in Indian jails: Report - Feb 15, 2011
- India disappointed as visa pact with Pakistan deferred (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- India disappointed as visa accord with Pakistan put off - May 25, 2012
- Visa pact with Pakistan needs some approvals: India - May 31, 2012
- Chidambaram optimistic about India-Pakistan meet - Apr 30, 2012
- India-Pakistan talks focus on liberalised visa regime (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Pakistan commerce minister to visit India - Apr 10, 2012
- Over 800 Pak prisoners languishing in Indian jails : Qureshi - Jan 14, 2010
- India, Pakistan to liberalise visa regime, says Krishna - Apr 25, 2012
- Manmohan-Zardari talks unleash positive trends in India-Pakistan ties (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Pakistan "cannot ignore Kashmir" during talks with India: Basit - Jan 03, 2011
- India, Pakistan to sign 'liberalised' visa agreement (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Pakistan FM to visit India for 'positive, result-oriented bilateral negotiations' - Jan 26, 2011
- Now India-China model for India-Pakistan ties? - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: citizens, composite dialogue, foreign affairs minister, indian authorities, indian government, jails, judicial committee, mehmood, national assembly, New Delhi, pakistan mission, pakistani authorities, pakistani nationals, prisoners, prisons, qureshi, regard, sentences, visa regime, visiting india