Pak HR minister Farooq Naek to meet Sarabjit Singh in jail on MondayOctober 3rd, 2008 - 3:11 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore , Oct 3 (ANI): Pakistan s Law and Human Rights Minister Farooq H. Naek will meet Indian national Sarabjit Singh, who has been lodged in Lahore s Kotlakhpat Jail for more than a decade.
The meeting is seen as a bid to review Singhs mercy case, who is facing death sentence over his alleged role in Lahore blasts in 1990 in which several people were killed. The Pakistan s Supreme Court and former President Pervez Musharraf have already rejected his mercy pleas.
Subsequently, his family members, including his sister, wife and daughter, have made several representations to the Pakistan Government though the Indian Government, proving with documentary evidence that Sarabjits was a case of mistaken identity.
Time and again they have stated that the Pakistan government had mistaken him to be Manjit Singh, who is wanted in Pakistan on terror charges.
Sarabjits family members say that he accidentally strayed into Pakistani territory in a drunken condition. But, he was arrested by Pakistani authorities on charges of spying. (ANI)
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- India calls for Sarabjit's release, upset at Pakistan's U-turn (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Sarabjit's family to protest at Jantar Mantar - Jun 28, 2012
- Punjab assembly resolution seeks Sarabjit's release - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: blasts, case of mistaken identity, death sentence, documentary evidence, facing death, family members, former president, human rights minister, indian government, lahore, manjit singh, naek, pakistan government, pakistani authorities, pakistani territory, pervez musharraf, representations, sarabjit singh, sister wife, terror charges